2016 POTD Thread Archive

but I just can't open pictures that display as thumbnail, they all have a red X on them

If the pictures have red x's, nobody can open them. It means they didn't load correctly.

Wrapped up the mods for my dad’s deer blind; firearm deer season starts on November 15 in Michigan. My dad suffered a stroke 2 ½ years ago, impacted his right side. At 80 he still wants to get out, so the project at hand was getting the blind useable for him.

I’ve already posted the drop-in hand rails at the top of the stairs to bridge the gap between the stairs to the blind. Also already posted the riser to his seat which gets him up higher for better vision. Those help him get into the blind.

Next problem to work was his struggle to lift his shotgun up to shooting position. His left side is fine and frankly he should learn to shoot left handed, but he qualified as an Expert shot in the Marine Corp 62 years ago as a rightie and isn’t going to change . . . Latest mod was adding a shelf at the front window to support the forearm of his shotgun. Also, a railing across the top of the blind with a rope looped around a shower curtain rod to a clasp to support the butt of his shotgun. Now all he has to do is get behind the shotgun, aim and shoot.

Bruce

20161105_152352.jpg 20161105_152547.jpg

The bike is really coming along. Really like the pipes. Are you planning any performance upgrades to the engine? Mike

Thanks Mike, I don't have any hop up plans other than a complete rebuild with new OS pistons and a quality 3 angle valve job.

If the pictures have red x's, nobody can open them. It means they didn't load correctly.
No, it's just the Tapatalk problem that has been going on for almost half a year now. I can see the images he was referring to just fine when I view them in Tapatalk on my phone. I have tried to talk to them about this problem but got no response. I imagine they would be more responsive to an administrator, but who knows? I love the convenience of having the forum in a modern, mobile app. But the image problems are really annoying.

I got the double layer plywood workbench top (with solid wood edging) assembled and gave it four coats of water-borne polyurethane. Greatly reduced the local gnat population in the process. It never fails. Dozens of those suckers landed after every coat. Compressed air blasts cleared out most of them, save a limb or two.

20161105_173310.jpg

20161105_160327.jpg

The top required nearly three full sheets of 3/4" plywood. It is HEAVY. Attached it to the metal base with 25 wafer head lath screws through predrilled holes distributed around the frame. It is now even more rigid and vibrations are somewhat dampened. The 400+ pound wood slab I will be storing in the back of the base will also help.

Weeknights this week I will be moving the lathe, surface grinder, jointer, and dust collector out of the way and moving this into place, then leveling it. Saturday I FINALLY pick up the mill and bring it home.

I made a spider chuck for working on rifle barrels. This was made from a piece of mystery metal that I picked up at the scrap yard.

Also, I salvaged a couple of plastic wheels from an old lawn edger and turned a couple of spindle bolts so I could install the wheels on my generator. I could have just bought the $45 wheel kit, but what's the fun in that?

IMG_20161105_164325119.jpg

Back