2016 POTD Thread Archive

Pretty simple project but I have always disliked reaching over my lathe for the tiny little power switch so I installed a new switch and while I was at it I added a small digital tach. The switch is at the same level as my table saw so I can reach it with my hand or knee.
new%20lathe%20switch%20and%20tach.jpg

CDCO has their QCTP holders on sale so I ordered some more.

Well, my lathe's 60 this year (a little older than me...) so I thought she deserved a new coat - of paint.
Spent the last couple of weekends wearing out wire cup wheel and abrasive flap discs, getting back to bare metal, last night and most of today adding about 200 miles (it felt like) of masking tape and cling wrap, a can each (so far) of etch primer and primer/filler just on the headstock and changewheel case, a litre of red oxide primer on the cabinet...
A few more weekends to go, and a small spraygun to buy...

Useful tip, I hope: If you have counterbores for SHCS, oil ports etc. and you don't want them full of paint, foam earplugs do a good job of blanking the holes (e.g. just by the spindle on the headstock) :)

Dave H. (the other one)

DSC_0446_small.jpg

[QUOTE="
Useful tip, I hope: If you have counterbores for SHCS, oil ports etc. and you don't want them full of paint, foam earplugs do a good job of blanking the holes (e.g. just by the spindle on the headstock) :)[/QUOTE]

Great thinking!

Looks like I screwed that up. Tried to edit out the pictures. Oops!

Good job fixing the brush, now I wonder about her hands turning a little black over time, or even her complaining of the smell it's going to leave on her hands.... are you gonna seal it in any way?

Back