2023 Pass Around Box Mega Thread

doh...
but what did you remove from the box...??? inquiring minds want to know.
FUMBLE.

Forgot to get a photo before kickoff. Maybe at halftime.

Okay, here’s my haul. Rando tiny stuff, a wrench, tool seats and a bar of mystery metal for my lathe. The Starrett mic needs a little love, but I’ve never been good at remembering decimal equivalents so I’m super excited about the cheat sheet frame!

IMG_2048.jpeg

This is the first time that i didn't leave something out when re-packing the box! Kinda glad the book is no longer part of the box b/c i think that was sitting on my bench just as i got that last screw tightened.

Looks like you got some treasures.

Just dropped the box off at the PO and sent it on it's way to @kvt. I was proud to have increased it's mass by 8lbs. But that's still 28lbs short of the Flat Rate Box 70lb maximum... I'll try harder next time. 8^)

A few observations:
  • the small plastic boxes and prescription bottles are not fairing well [see below]
  • cylindrical containers create wasted, unfilled space (both inside & out..) which seems to make them particularly vulnerable to damage
  • thick, easily removable tape and small bubble-wrap appears to offer better protection and packing options for bit tools
  • a few broken cutting tools and bargain-bin import items seemed out of place to me, but overall quality has improved since my last round a couple years ago
  • whoever added the leather packing shroud deserves our thanks – it's a brilliant and functional addition
  • the box, lid and fasteners are holding surprisingly well – a testament to the initial design & fabrication
Thanks again to all involved for making this a fun part of this community. This is a special group.

IMG_2054.jpeg
IMG_2058.jpeg

I thought someone would have grabbed up the leather by now. That piece isn't big enough for a chip guard, but leather is so nice for wrapping wooden tool handles.

One more thing... A few months ago I sold some tools to an online friend back east. It was heavy stuff. He agreed to pay shipping but only if I used pirateship.com, which he said was all he uses for shipping anymore.

Y'all can read about it elsewhere, but the bottom line is Pirate Ship sells the same USPS postage cheaper than USPS does. Same shipper. Same service. Same shipping label. $4.00 cheaper.

I'm still shaking my head that Flat Rate postage can be variable, but the older I get the less I know.

Why fight it?

Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 9.54.26 AM.jpeg

I thought someone would have grabbed up the leather by now. That piece isn't big enough for a chip guard, but leather is so nice for wrapping wooden tool handles.
Shucks, I didn't mean to spoil anything. I thought it was a permanent addition.

Sorry.

No. I'm sorry. I thought it would be a cool thing to wrap tools in. Both a protective wrapping, and something others can use. Sounded like a good idea in my head. In reality, it does look like a dedicated piece of the box.

Not to ruin the spirit of the PAB, but if anyone wanted some leather, but didn't feel right about taking that piece. . . or you just want a nice leather sample, DM me an address.

Back