An Update On Mexican Made Nicholson Files

.................... Send your files to a decent file sharpening service to have them renewed. They won't be as good as new,but will have some use left in them.

A file sharpening service???? Ooooooookkkkaaaayyyy.

I pretty much have a lifetime supply of files on hand. I don't think I'll ever need to send any out for sharpening.

I would imagine most of you guys have seen taps with a dull finish and shiney finish on the shank.That tap was acid sharpened.
I have a 1 1/2 8 Tap that was done that way. It is probably not the greatest ,but you could not afford a new tap that size.

Yes,file sharpening services are a reality. Boggs is a name that FAINTLY comes to mind. The blacksmith's shop in Williamsburg sends their files there to be sharpened. They also bought a file sharpening kit that included a PVC tube to suspend them in,and acids. I don't know how successful they found the kit. I know they liked the sharpening service pretty well. I'm going to Google Boggs and see if my memory is right.

Edit: YES!! Boggs came up at the top of the list when I Googled "Boggs file sharpening". Others did too,I think,but I'm in a hurry. You can carry on from here.

Hi All, I've been trying to find a way to keep my files safe in drawer so they don't bounce around on each other whenever the drawer is opened , they are Nos Nicholson, any suggestions ?

I keep my files in a drawer also. I store them in old paper towel tubes flattened. No cost and no work. You can trace an outline of the file on them and write down the type.

Good to hear they've picked the quality back up, George. Sad state of affairs when you can't get a decent file. I agree with the wrought iron observations - makes a great looking knife guard when it's all eaten and layer-y.

I've used Bogg's services for file sharpening. It certainly works, but it's not like getting a new file, more like getting a bit more use from one that would otherwise have been discarded. Perhaps you've stumbled across used files that had red paint on the stick tangs... That's what file sharpening services mark files with to tell you "that was the last time we can sharpen this one, so when it's done, it's DONE".

Simmonds files had red tangs when new. I'm not sure if they still do or not. Now made in India,I think.

I've never sent a file out to be sharpened. When one can't be used as a file any longer it usually becomes a turning tool for the wood lathe or knife.

I read that you can turn old files into scraping tools. Any good?

Hello, in Mexico Nich sells two types of triangular files, regular hard triangular files and the soft ones ment for (believe it or not), sharpening machetes and similar tools), they are cheap and not very hard (as you now know), they are not even called files, you ask for "triángulos" in the hardware stores.
Maybe somebody sent the wrong package to the USA...

Back