An Update On Mexican Made Nicholson Files

Now that is an interesting twist that I would not have expected. Thanks kimoleto, for chiming in and letting us know that there is actually a soft version that is intentionally made that way.

I read that you can turn old files into scraping tools. Any good?

I don't know about scrapers for precision scraping, but old files work fantastic as gasket scrapers. I've got a couple of them here and nothing works better, even on aluminum. Yes, extra care is necessary on aluminum parts, but with a little practice they work better than anything I have ever used.

Simmonds files had red tangs when new. I'm not sure if they still do or not. Now made in India,I think.

The Simmonds that I got a few months back from Zoro were black finish, no red paint on tang. Back when I was a ski bum 30 some years ago, I occasionally worked in a hi volume ski shop, flat filed dozens of skis per day. All done with resharpened Simmonds, they cut like butter and were universally liked for flat filing over the Nicholson. Of course this was back in 1983-84 and pertained to only one type of File 14" Mill Bastard.

I have not used the new black Simmonds long enough to form an opinion other than so far so good.

michael

Real old iron fences,old anchors and anchor chains are a few of the things that can be made of wrought iron. It has a grain that looks like wood when it is well rusted. This is from silicone layers in the metal. I have some 1/2" square bar stock that I can actually pull the layers apart with pliers. Used because it rusts more slowly due to the silicone layers.

Actually you mean silica. " Wrought iron contains thin layers of silica slag that give it a wood grain like property" Silicone is for Breast implants and food grade lubricants.

Yes,my sloppy memory!

Re: soft Mexican files- I wish our stores HERE would differentiate if some files are made soft,so I would not BUY THEM! I don't see how files as soft as I bought could sharpen anything. And,a FLAT file would be more appropriate for sharpening machetes,I'd think,after being a machinist for several decades.

You can buy some nice German made files from Drills and Cutters ,i just purchased several different types 14 t0 8 inch and for a unbelievable price!

I just Googled "Drills and Cutters." A fantastic source! Their 8" mill or flat files are at least $2.00 cheaper than the Nicholsons at Home Depot. Free shipping over $100.00!! Thanks,I book marked it.

Back