Another obligatory New PM-833TV and PM-1340GT Ordered!

Top point to where

.|----------- This -----------|
/\___................................./\___

Tape measure says 5 5/16, dial caliper says 5.290

It is a little narrow.....

This is an example of an 8" level on the 1340GT. Since the level I have has a notch in the center I suspend it on 123 blocks equal distance front and back. Some people place the level on the cross slide. The flats are at the same level the /\ are not. It is all relative the goal is to minimize bed twist on a new lathe so I check the level at the head stock, mid-way and the tailstock end.
SPI (EDA) level.jpg

Thanks Mark! Looks like I will be able to get away with a 6" level on 1-2-3 blocks to accomplish initial leveling/twist adjustments.
This is an example of an 8" level on the 1340GT. Since the level I have has a notch in the center I suspend it on 123 blocks equal distance front and back. Some people place the level on the cross slide. The flats are at the same level the /\ are not. It is all relative the goal is to minimize bed twist on a new lathe so I check the level at the head stock, mid-way and the tailstock end.
View attachment 368495

Thanks Mark! Looks like I will be able to get away with a 6" level on 1-2-3 blocks to accomplish initial leveling/twist adjustments.
Make sure you get a level with enough resolution. A lot of the smaller so called "machinist levels" aren't precise enough to do a good job leveling the bed ways. I have a Starrett 199, and it's terrific, but expensive. Mark's SPI 31-060-7 would be an excellent alternative that's half the cost of a Starrett 199.

Was going to pich up a Starrett 98-6 for this. $140 on Amazon.

Make sure you get a level with enough resolution. A lot of the smaller so called "machinist levels" aren't precise enough to do a good job leveling the bed ways. I have a Starrett 199, and it's terrific, but expensive. Mark's SPI 31-060-7 would be an excellent alternative that's half the cost of a Starrett 199.

Back