Bandsaw Purchase Question

SE18

Active User
Registered
My shop has a lathe, small mill, welding equipment, everything but a bandsaw. So I'm trying to decide on which one to buy with limited budget.

HF sells a 4X6 for $260 (maybe they have coupons?). That might be my first choice. I understand that people make mods to it like hydraulics.

The next choice would be to wait and save money for the HF $900 7x12. I'd have to wait and save more for that but it comes with hydraulic.

Usage would be for small hobby projects so I don't see the need for the 7x12, unless there's a huge quality difference between them.

Any input would be appreciated. Much thanks

First question that I would ask is what is the max capacity do you foresee every needing? Next would be horizontal only or horizontal and vertical. Last question is do you want to buy something that works right out of the box, or would it suit you to have something that needs some work? The answers to these questions will point you in different directions, base on how important each answer is to you.

In my shop, I have both a vertical bandsaw and a horizontal saw. My vertical is a Delta 16' triwheel that is convertible for wood or metal. My horizontal is a Wells 16"x 14" capacity. There are two more saws that I want for the shop. First is a wet type cold saw for precision work, and the second is a large power hacksaw for certain types of heavier stock. Each has it's area that it excels at, so by answering the questions for how you operate and what you work on, that will give you guidance to what type saw will work the best for you.

I have the clone of the HF 4X6 saw. I just finished the Hydraulic Downfeed (fairly simple mod). For what you wish to do, small projects, it would suit you well. Always remember that Big will do small but Small will not do big. Being on a limited budget say go with the 4X6.

"Billy G"

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/new-home-for-bandsaw.43130/

Last edited by a moderator:
I have worn out three of four of the little ones. Somehow, I got one with the miter head and it must have been better than the rest as it has lasted about ten years under harder use than the others.

Buy what today's budget can afford. You can always sell the little one on.

HF every so often send out a 25% off coupon. If you can afford it go for the bigger model , otherwise the 4x 6 is a good little saw if you set it up and adjust it for straight cutting and tracking.

Thanks; as to the types of projects I do, they are usually small and the 4x6 capacity would work. Out of curiosity, could it be used for wood? It's primary purpose of course is steel.

Would the 7x12 also have to be adjusted for cutting and tracking? Is that a mod or do you mean just make the manufacturer recommended adjustments.

BTW, I can't see myself burning thru a number of these. I'm not doing production work so it would be occasional usage, once or twice a month.

thanks

The HF 4x6 needs some loving attention when you first get it. I love mine. Get a good bi-metal variable pitch blade, adjust everything and try it out. One thing I have had trouble with is stock slipping in the vise and getting an angle cut instead of square. I felt it had to much clearance between the table and jaw. I measured .013" with a feeler gauge. I removed the acme nut and milled .011" from the top of it. The vise feels like a big boy now. Holds the stock solid now.
For harbor coupons go to the following link and pick out one you like. They always work at my local HF store:
http://www.hfqpdb.com/

I recommend the 4x6 for what you are doing. Lots of places sell it. The only real difference between most of them is the paint job. As with most or all Chinese machine tools, you will probably need to do some tuning and adjusting to get it to work well. There is a Yahoo group for that, and lots of mods and tweaks as well. My red HF 4x6 saw needed considerable adjustment when I bought it. Now it cuts square and nicely. I have not done any mods to it so far, haven't needed them yet...

Thanks; I guess they all come from the same factory in China and the paint job differentiates the price. Bob, so you didn't need to do the hydraulic mod? Just "considerable adjustments?"

My shop has a lathe, small mill, welding equipment, everything but a bandsaw. So I'm trying to decide on which one to buy with limited budget.

HF sells a 4X6 for $260 (maybe they have coupons?). That might be my first choice. I understand that people make mods to it like hydraulics.

The next choice would be to wait and save money for the HF $900 7x12. I'd have to wait and save more for that but it comes with hydraulic.

Usage would be for small hobby projects so I don't see the need for the 7x12, unless there's a huge quality difference between them.

Any input would be appreciated. Much thanks

Back