Bandsaw Purchase Question

I had a Jet 4x6 for years until I just got tired of fiddling with it to get a good cut. I sold it and got a 7x12 Jet which was a "scratch and dent" model from a distributer for $899. After a slight adjustment it cuts perfect, has the wet saw pump and reservoir and hyd down feed. It also comes with a bimetal blade. I would steer clear of the HF stuff as they seem to have more issues you will have to fix before getting a decent cut. I'd look for a used one first or possibly get a scratch and dent model.

Also, both my Jet saws were made in Taiwan. You will find that the Taiwan models have better fit and finish than any Chicom.

I have an old Jet, a grey one from the 80s. I think I paid $75 for it a few years ago. Not great, but it does what I need it to do.

No, I wouldn't use one of these for wood. You'll get oily sawdust packed into it. And besides, the blade is way too fine for woodcutting.

A harbor freight porta bandsaw and build a stand like this might get you by.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Jet 5X6 that has run flawlessly for about 10 years plus. It needed the usual initial tune and that was all it needed to cut square within a few thou of dead square. I changed the bearings to better ones, built a chip brush and a better table for vertical cutting but this saw required no "mods" to get it running great. I use Lenox 10-14 tooth bimetal blades and have only gone through 2 of them in the last 10 years - still cutting sweet despite fairly heavy hobby shop use. Oh, and I may one day do the hydraulic downfeed thing but so far I haven't felt the need as I don't cut really thin stuff and the saw has handled everything else I've thrown at it.

I haven't used the HF models but they are reported to be great saws once you sort out their little niggles. If you are pressed for cash, the HF 4X6's are well regarded. If you can go a bit further you might look at the Jet.

I have been through about 4 bandsaws in my career, most in the first 10 years or so. I think the first one was a Powercraft (Montgomery Wards), and then a couple of imports similar to the HF. Finally, I bought the Delta (the one all the others are copies of.) It's been a great saw for for 30 years.

If I had bought that one first, I would have saved a lot of money.

The same is true about my drill presses, table saws, shapers...

I guess my point (if I have one) is that starting at the budget end isn't always the best choice. I would pass on the HF wood cutting bandsaw, although the 4x6 metal saw has a pretty wide following.

I had a 4 x 6 and as has been said bang for the buck they're pretty hard to beat. I do some larger cutting but very little that the small one wouldn't have handled. BUT I bought a 7 x 12 form Princess Auto, our version of your Harbour freight. I've had it for probably 8 years now and have never adjusted anything. The bigger blade and coolant make an astounding difference. I was forever changing blades in the small one, on large material the bi-metal didn't seam to last enough longer to justify the price difference. Running wet they last for months of heavy cutting. With the little one one cut through a 4 inch shaft was about all you could expect out of a blade, I just made 4 on a 4 1/2 inch shaft and don't see any difference.
It may be overkill but if you have the space i think they're worth it.

Greg

I had an older Taiwanese Jet 7x12 that I picked up used a few years back and brought back to life. I think I was into it right around $400.00 total and just recently sold it to purchase my Baileigh BS-210M.

I know a lot of people use the HF 4x6's and like them but the one I used of a friends, I simply was NOT impressed.

Mike.

Back