Bandsaw Purchase Question

My shop has a lathe, small mill, welding equipment, everything but a bandsaw. So I'm trying to decide on which one to buy with limited budget.

HF sells a 4X6 for $260 (maybe they have coupons?). That might be my first choice. I understand that people make mods to it like hydraulics.

The next choice would be to wait and save money for the HF $900 7x12. I'd have to wait and save more for that but it comes with hydraulic.

Usage would be for small hobby projects so I don't see the need for the 7x12, unless there's a huge quality difference between them.

Any input would be appreciated. Much thanks
i have had one of the hf types for probably 25 yrs. its cut thousands of feet of material. i have tried the various mods such as hyd downfeed and ended up returning to the original setup. people complain about it not cutting straight, but i have found that its all in the blade, buy good bimetal blades and it works fine. there are lots of threads out there showing various mods to these machines ,some can be very useful . if the capacity of this machine suits you then go for it. for the money you cant go wrong.

I have been using g my "tuned" HF saw for a few years now. It has functioned well enough for small stock, but can exhibit some drift when the blade rollers are slid all the way up.
I have started making mosaic Damascus which requires a lot of angled cuts.
This is a bit of a pain with any bolt down vise.
So I concur with Mike and am planning to get the small Jet miter bandsaw.
Go ahead and get the HF on sale and with a coupon, and put a bi metal blade on it.
It will serve you well until you can get the better saw.
Regarding the HF wood bandsaw, IMO you are wasting any amount you spend on one
if you are anything more than a hack woodworker. You will end up ruining more good wood,
Or spend too much on sandpaper to repair poor cuts that what you would spend on picking up
A used delta or Jet 14" saw on craigslist. Some can be found that already have better tires and blade guides already installed. Just my 2 cents.

Hi everyone; after much thought; I sprung for the HF 7x12. Here's a picture of it after the forklift loaded. It's in my driveway now and I'm trying to figure out how to get it off the back of the truck since it's 350lb and I'm 58 and worry about spraining my back. I did stop at 3 HFs and none of them had the 1ton lift in stock, nor did they have the pickup rolldown planks, so today I'll build my own. I guess the other thing is it has to remain up right position or fluids will come out so that adds to the drama of moving it down.

I may just go ahead and call in a HF order for the 1 ton foldable shop crane. HF catalog arrived in mail and it's $138 now with coupon. (I don't think you can add a 20% coupon to that coupon? I also have military ID but don't think you can do that either?); A shop crane like this would have really helped out. Has anyone used one?

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-capacity-foldable-shop-crane-69512.html

IMG_0037.jpg

I doubt you'll ever regret getting the bigger saw.
Greg

Pair of 8' 2x10's and you will have it on the shop floor in a flash.....Use two people and not a problem at all.

You might be able to rent a portable crane like that at a local shop.

Be careful!

I use a portable lift like that ALL the time but mine is the 2 Ton model.
When moving tools with one of these, the legs are always in the way,
So most of your lifter lifts are at full extension for the height an to get the
Tool between the widest section between the legs.
The weight capacity of the tool when advertised is that when the boom is all the way
Retracted. I think the capacity of my 2 ton is at 500lbs when extended.
I would guess that you want the 2 ton model.
Mine is the old model where the legs detach and have to be inserted every time I use it.
There is a newer model where the legs hinge on a pin.

The next choice would be to wait and save money for the HF $900 7x12.

Not just no but hell no. If you wait for a 20% off sale that includes machinery at Enco you can buy this made in Taiwan Turn-Pro 7-12 for $893 and a bi-metal blade. This is the saw I purchased and its been flawless. I will say these sized saws are way too low to the ground, too low even for your typical T stand to hold up long stock. I'm raising mine up 7 inches and putting it on swivel locking casters.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=953991&PMAKA=137-3190

Also these Palmgren cast iron support stands are badass, another candidate for a Enco 20-30% off sale.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=5802512&PMAKA=325-1435

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=25219186&PMAKA=328-1064

I definitely will be needing some sort of hoist; it was a bear getting it off the truck with a buddy but we did it without injury to ourselves or the machine; it's pretty much together except for a cover with spare pulleys and some sort of plate and instruction book that's thick, probably 99 % filled with safety info and Spanish and maybe a smidgen of info; Before doing anything, I'm going to read the book a few times. Seems I need some sort of coolent. Guess I'll operate the blade until it breaks and then go on Enco for a bimetal

IMG_0042.jpg IMG_0050.jpg

The blade will probably wear out before it breaks, the larger wheels put less stress on the band, don't think I've ever broke one.
Greg

Back