Buy a small lathe while I wait for the PM lathe to arrive??

It’s 300#. When I picked it up the two us slid it into the back of my PU. Its kinda heavy if you are doing some lifting. I got it out of my truck and onto the bench with my trusty HF engine hoist by myself. Whatever you do be careful how you rig it as you don’t want to bend the lead screw.

Oh, and remember the head end is heavier than the tail. Sorry if you already know this. Two guys on the head end and one of the tail if they are healthy. YMMV.

It’s 300#. When I picked it up the two us slid it into the back of my PU. Its kinda heavy if you are doing some lifting. I got it out of my truck and onto the bench with my trusty HF engine hoist by myself. Whatever you do be careful how you rig it as you don’t want to bend the lead screw.

Okay... yeah, taking my son with me then... I would go get it today but it is my son's 19th birthday. Wife would kill me if I tell her that I am going out and will be back in a couple of hours with him... :D

I see some wheel carts in the photo... I should be able to roll it to the truck with bench and all... and hopefully slide the lathe it into the bed.

Now, I need to quickly make space in the garage for it... lol... no sense in taking this one to Ocala. I want it were I spend most of my time now... The PM will be delivered to the new house in Ocala... I do not want to deal with moving that one in 4 years...

Oh, and remember the head end is heavier than the tail. Sorry if you already know this. Two guys on the head end and one of the tail if they are healthy. YMMV.

I will make sure to take some Advil... It will be just me and my son doing the lifting... my father-in-law is coming with us but he is in no shape to be carrying anything... as much as he would like to do so. He already took his leather belt out...

Just in case anyone is interested in that Logan lathe... I found it for sale in Punta Gorda, FL for 600.00

In case you have access to FB: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1395854147448487/

lathe-for-sale-1-jpeg.378286

Just in case anyone is interested in that Logan lathe... I found it for sale in Punta Gorda, FL for 600.00

In case you have access to FB: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1395854147448487/

lathe-for-sale-1-jpeg.378286
That’s about $500 too much IMHO. I stay away from basket cases as I learned my lesson over 50yrs ago. Some people like me see them as basket cases/headaches, others see it as “disassembled for your convenience”. If I’d seen it or used before it was blown up, maybe. Like that, and no prior history, no thanks.

Do it! :)

The 9x20s are a decent inexpensive lathe. They are based on the Austrian Emco Compact 8 and a big step above the 7x12-16 or 8x16 lathes.
They often show up asking $800-1200 so at $500 you should have no problem getting your money back if you decide to get rid of it once the big lathe arrives. It can be also be handy at times to have a second lathe available if you have the space for it.

I picked up an older Enco 9x20 a couple years ago because it was only 30 minutes away, cheap and in like new condition.

They weigh about 250lbs. When I bought it the seller and I were easily able to take it off the stand and put it into the back of my truck.

That’s about $500 too much IMHO. I stay away from basket cases as I learned my lesson over 50yrs ago. Some people like me see them as basket cases/headaches, others see it as “disassembled for your convenience”. If I’d seen it or used before it was blown up, maybe. Like that, and no prior history, no thanks.

Yeah... I really did not wanted another project sitting in my garage... But seeing so many threads here of folks restoring these old lathes, figured I would share in case someone else was interested...

Back