Can You Over Accessorize?

Sorry, the quill. 219ebWHLSFL.jpg

Ah, OK. If you look at the pic at the beginning of this thread, you will see that I replaced that 3-spoke thingie with a much shorter single shaft and a knurled ball on the end. I did this because that factory setup was interfering with my lighting. :)

I have less leverage with my setup, but I haven't used a drill bit larger than 3/4" so far and with that I just had to 'lean into' it a bit more than I would have had to do with the original setup.

No, can't do that. What you're talking about would be cool to have, but I'd have to take the current drive/friction clutch mechanism apart to see what I'd be dealing with in order to attempt to do something like that.

Bill have you considered fitting a maxi-torque power draw bar like coolidge put on his new mill? Looks like you still have some room there. Just trying to be helpful.

Bill just buy the big Sharp a larger mill gives you more room for accessories. :D

We are all looking after your best interest... just want to live vicariously through you, while we putter on out "little" mills.

Look! Cliff! ...

A Clausing 8520? That's quite the "little" mill Tim. :)

I've been thinking about this for a bit... After someone on here accused me of having "problems" (likely in jest, but it stung a bit) because of my recent machine purchases, I probably won't post if/when I finally do get a knee mill. I'm also going to start staying away from some of the more volatile questions like those comparing machines, which is better, US iron is great, everything else sucks, etc.. As one person pointed out, it's fun to watch some folks try to out wordsmith each other, but I'm not going to play anymore. I will continue to hang out and post, but I'm going to start staying away from certain subjects/sub-forums here. I continue to enjoy many of the forums and subjects (especially projects and such), and the whole slew of people I've met here (one person here was recently in town and came over to chat and check out my little hobby shop).

I've even managed to learn a thing or two... :)

I feel like clicking the "like" button on the preceding post wouldn't convey the correct intentions. Maybe more along the lines of: empathy, support, acceptance or bummer, would be a better choice but those are not given.

A Clausing 8520? That's quite the "little" mill Tim. :)
It really isn't that big. About 800#, table is 6x24". Feels really small after working on a Sharp LMV50.

The mill in my avatar is a Tormach 1100, which is bigger and more rigid than the Clausing... and not worn out... and cnc. Still would be nice to add a full size bridgeport to my stable.

I am in your shoes, and am tooling up for retirement. I made my last move, so over the past two years have started to buy the heavy machinery that I didn't dare buy before when I was moving a lot (military).

Last edited:
Back