Can You Over Accessorize?

Yeah, the 8520 was the limit of what I felt I could move with. Moved three times after I bought it. Take the mill off of the stand, remove the motor, and it weighs about 600#. I can move it up and down a haul ramp on an appliance dolly... barely.

I held off buying a lathe (I wanted something at least 13x40) and a bigger mill until after I moved this final time. Now I am retired from the military (and working a different job), so I don't have to worry about relocating again.

8520's tend to sell for a good amount of money.... but not $3500. That guy is dreaming. I see them selling from $900-1600 tops.

He may just get it. Everything machine-wise here sells for stupid money. I saw a guy with a listing for a RF30 w/DRO recently and he wanted $4k for it. Recently a completely clapped out and badly rusted SB 9 was listed for almost 2k. It's just stupid around here. Probably the legal pot and lack of oxygen at this altitude... Can't wait to leave.

yeah, there is that. CO is probably even less of a hot bed of manufacturing then the PNW.

I bought mine when I lived on the East Coast, but even then I had scouted for about a year looking for one. They are somewhat rare and in high demand because they are a really convenient size for a hobbyist. But "rare" for a 30 yo machine tool like this means it should cost $1600, not $3500.

Well, the situation here may mean that I can get a decent price for my 12Z when I want to sell it... :D

I don't do wood, so the crating might be an issue. Do they pick up at your residence? I think I remember reading somewhere that Grizzly had a machine picked up at a customers house?

I meant, compared against a knee mill, basically you could ship it on a skid or someone could back up with a pickup or trailer and you could comparably easily load them up. I think that would make it easier on your end to sell too.

A Clausing 8520? That's quite the "little" mill Tim. :)

I've been thinking about this for a bit... After someone on here accused me of having "problems" (likely in jest, but it stung a bit) because of my recent machine purchases, I probably won't post if/when I finally do get a knee mill. I'm also going to start staying away from some of the more volatile questions like those comparing machines, which is better, US iron is great, everything else sucks, etc.. As one person pointed out, it's fun to watch some folks try to out wordsmith each other, but I'm not going to play anymore. I will continue to hang out and post, but I'm going to start staying away from certain subjects/sub-forums here. I continue to enjoy many of the forums and subjects (especially projects and such), and the whole slew of people I've met here (one person here was recently in town and came over to chat and check out my little hobby shop).

I've even managed to learn a thing or two... :)

Online forums... tend to have toes stepped on... mostly by accident.
Seems to me it 'would' be better if the folks with heels... would apologize... but then that does not always happen.
Seems a bit thicker skin, or quick to forgive and move on, works better on forums... these issues seem to not pop up as often in person.

I bet we all have some stories we could tell... however that might get a bit too negative and raucous... Was gonna start a thread on it... probably better not!

Bill... you are one of the folks I follow... simply because of the way you think things out.
I hope you do not back away too much... I do enjoy reading your posts.

And on the new mill: might remember Matt's excellent customer service... the PM mills are good machines!

Well, the situation here may mean that I can get a decent price for my 12Z when I want to sell it... :D

Question Bill....

Have folks CNC'ed the 12Z??

I may have a need for a small CNC machine in a few years.

THX

GA

The 12z is the manual version of Charter Oak's CNC mill. I could buy the conversion kit if I wanted. MakerofThings is converting his now.

Back