Carbon removal from piston

mofosheee

Registered
Registered
Hello HM forum

I have a pair of carbon'ed up unobtainable aluminum pistons (removed from engine) Antique motorcycle restoration.
Much of the carbon has been removed with; elbow grease, a brass brush and diesel.............Getting tired of the fight
Prolonged soaking in diesel and acetone have been my recent tactics and the sheet is still fighting me.
Looking to soften the carbon up without desgtroying the AL. I wanna be gentle and want to stay away from stainless steel brushes and scotch brite.
Very reluctant to turn them over to the 18 y/o kid in the automotive "machine shop"

What say the experts on HM forum please?

GM used to make a product called TEC (top engine cleaner). I used it for cleaning carbon off parts when rebuilding engines, however that was many years ago. I don’t know if they still make it, or if they do whether or not it’s the same thing.

I have heard Seafoam is very similar and also cleans parts well. I’ve not tried it myself.

This is where Jasco/methylene chloride really excells- unfortunately it's been banned in many places after dummies have
died taking baths in it
You might be able to still get it in Colorado
Brake kleen with toluene might also help soften it
Use either one with good ventilation

Last edited:
Carburetor cleaner dip will remove the carbon with little drama. The most critical areas to remove the carbon is in the ring lands. A broken piston ring works well to scrape out the groove after the dip softens it.

Been in your shoes. If you're not in a hurry find some non-synthetic ATF and mix it 50/50 with seafoam. Put it all in a metal container, cover and find something else to do go at least a week or two. Other than a little discoloration it works over time. Soda blasting might remove heavy deposits, but if not backing after the black stuff is gone it will affect the metal some.
What bike is the engine out of?

Been in your shoes. If you're not in a hurry find some non-synthetic ATF and mix it 50/50 with seafoam. Put it all in a metal container, cover and find something else to do go at least a week or two. Other than a little discoloration it works over time. Soda blasting might remove heavy deposits, but if not backing after the black stuff is gone it will affect the metal some.
What bike is the engine out of?
Ok, ok.................I'll cave for the Seafoam and give it a chance. Never had confidence in it. Always seemed like a multi million dollar snake oil scheme to me.

Attachments

• XR pose.png
    XR pose.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
Back