Enco 92010 change gear help

vintageracer31

Registered
Registered
Morning All,
I want to slow the feed rate on my Enco and I have seen people switch the change gears out to slow the feed down. I'm looking for better surface finish when turning. I can't find any info on my specific lathe. Has anyone here done it and care to share how to do it?

What amount of feed are presently seeing? Lessening the feed amount is done by using a smaller gear on the stud gear or a larger gear on the screw, ot possibly setting up a compound grar train ( a double reduction. Does your machine have a chart indicating how to setuo the change gear train for threads and feeds. Perhaps you should find a manual or look to manuals for other similar machines, as most all loose change lathes use the same gear ratios and numbers of teeth; South Bend Lathe Company's book "How to run a Lathe" would have such info.

What amount of feed are presently seeing? Lessening the feed amount is done by using a smaller gear on the stud gear or a larger gear on the screw, ot possibly setting up a compound grar train ( a double reduction. Does your machine have a chart indicating how to setuo the change gear train for threads and feeds. Perhaps you should find a manual or look to manuals for other similar machines, as most all loose change lathes use the same gear ratios and numbers of teeth; South Bend Lathe Company's book "How to run a Lathe" would have such info.
I just received the manual yesterday. The chart on the machine indicates 4 the way the levers are set. Not .004 just 4 which leads to my confusion. I generally turn in back gear because the feed rate across the part is way too fast in high. I have some gears that came with the lathe to see if I can swap 1 out to slow it down. Thank you for the reply

I used to have an Enco 92030. Im not sure how similar it is to your lathe. Mine had a chart on the front that indicated thread pitches and another on the side that indicated feeds. I’m wondering if the 4 referenced on your chart is 4 tpi.

I’ve attached a photo of mine. On it, the finest feed is achieved with both levers in their far right position.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_0753.jpeg
    IMG_0753.jpeg
    524.7 KB · Views: 18
I used to have an Enco 92030. Im not sure how similar it is to your lathe. Mine had a chart on the front that indicated thread pitches and another on the side that indicated feeds. I’m wondering if the 4 referenced on your chart is 4 tpi.

I’ve attached a photo of mine. On it, the finest feed is achieved with both levers in their far right position.

Hope this helps.
Thank you I appreciate that. Mine is a slightly different version but I will see if your numbers make sense. I don't plan to do any threading I just want to slow the feed down to improve surface finish

I’m sorry I don’t have a pic of the feed chart. IIRC, the finest feed was 0.002”/rev longitudinal and 0.001”/rev cross feed.

Put your gearbox levers on E and 8, That should give you your slowest feeds.

Your lathe should have 2 small gears installed, Which will both be 40 tooth gears if it is set up for inch threading. The lathe came with 2 extra gears for metric threading which will be a 30 Tooth gear and a 32 tooth gear. You should not need those gears unless you choose a metric thread from the chart.

Edit to add:

Some of these 12x36 lathes also came with a 46 tooth gear, But most of them only use the 30 and 32 tooth for metric threads, And some oddball sae threads.

Make sure you lube the gears on the gearbox too, There should be a hole or a plug on the top right side of the gearbox to squirt oil in there, There is a piece of gauze in there that soaks up the oil and then drips on to the gears.

Last edited:
Put your gearbox levers on E and 8, That should give you your slowest feeds.

Your lathe should have 2 small gears installed, Which will both be 40 tooth gears if it is set up for inch threading. The lathe came with 2 extra gears for metric threading which will be a 30 Tooth gear and a 32 tooth gear. You should not need those gears unless you choose a metric thread from the chart.

Edit to add:

Some of these 12x36 lathes also came with a 46 tooth gear, But most of them only use the 30 and 32 tooth for metric threads, And some oddball sae threads.

Make sure you lube the gears on the gearbox too, There should be a hole or a plug on the top right side of the gearbox to squirt oil in there, There is a piece of gauze in there that soaks up the oil and then drips on to the gears.
I have them in that position but it still seems too fast in direct

Ok on some lathes, You move the levers next to each other, So move the right lever all the way to the left, And the left lever all the way to the right. Try that, That's how my chinese enco 12x36 is. Give me a second and I will give you lever positions.

Ok the left lever, Position it top right, Left lever put it all the way to the left, Which should be hole 1.

An easy way to find the slowest speed is to look on the chart for the finest thread available, Which should be something like 112 threads per inch, Move the levers to that position.

Back