Enco 92010 change gear help

Ok the left lever, Position it top right, Left lever put it all the way to the left, Which should be hole 1.

An easy way to find the slowest speed is to look on the chart for the finest thread available, Which should be something like 112 threads per inch, Move the levers to that position.
I will try that thank you sir

The back gears make no difference in the amount of feed, the feed gear train is driven by the spindle. Whole nimbers on the threading / feeding chart are threads per inch, feeds would be expressed as fractions of an inch. I note that on the lathe pictured, there is a lever at the lower right that is set for threads or feeds (to the right position), this would slow down the feed rate. Also, I see that the feed rate is not stated, so one would have to figure it out somehow, related to the thread rate, I suppose.

Are you using the feed engage lever or the half nut lever. The longer lever on the right is the threading lever that engages the half nut, The shorter lever close to the center engages the longitudal feed and the crossfeed.

1713903187161.png

The back gears make no difference in the amount of feed, the feed gear train is driven by the spindle. Whole nimbers on the threading / feeding chart are threads per inch, feeds would be expressed as fractions of an inch. I note that on the lathe pictured, there is a lever at the lower right that is set for threads or feeds (to the right position), this would slow down the feed rate. Also, I see that the feed rate is not stated, so one would have to figure it out somehow, related to the thread rate, I.

Are you using the feed engage lever or the half nut lever. The longer lever on the right is the threading lever that engages the half nut, The shorter lever close to the center engages the longitudal feed and the crossfeed.

View attachment 487639
I'm using the threading lever

Morning All,
I changed the gear connecting to the feed shaft from a 46 tooth to a 24 tooth and it slowed down the feed rate quite a bit. Thank you guys for all your help!

Attachments

• 20240423_194447.jpg
    20240423_194447.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240423_194621.jpg
    20240423_194621.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 7
Just a question, You said you don't plan on threading, Why are you using the threading lever?

As an aside, Your lathe did not come with a 24 tooth gear as far as I know. Like I said earlier most of them came shipped with the 2 40 tooth gears installed and included in the tool box a 30 tooth and a 32 tooth gear, Some lathes also included the 46 tooth gear, As yours must have. I have not seen a 24 tooth gear included on these Taiwan 10 or 12 inch lathes.

Do you happen to have the two 40 tooth gears?

The 2 larger gears are a 120 and a 127 tooth gear.

Just a question, You said you don't plan on threading, Why are you using the threading lever?

As an aside, Your lathe did not come with a 24 tooth gear as far as I know. Like I said earlier most of them came shipped with the 2 40 tooth gears installed and included in the tool box a 30 tooth and a 32 tooth gear, Some lathes also included the 46 tooth gear, As yours must have. I have not seen a 24 tooth gear included on these Taiwan 10 or 12 inch lathes.

Do you happen to have the two 40 tooth gears?

The 2 larger gears are a 120 and a 127 tooth gear.
I use the threading lever because that is the one that allows the saddle to feed along the part. Is there another way to do it? I will look tonight to see what others are in there. I know there is 1 40 tooth and a 32 tooth. I bought it used so maybe the previous owner bought one?

Yes, If you look at the pic I put up, You will see a block in the center of the apron with 3 socket head screws in a triangular pattern, There is a lever coming out of the side of it, You grab a hold of it and pull it up for longitudinal feeding and push it down for feeding in with the cross slide. You have to push it to one side or the other to make it go up or down, It swivels to locate, Look at it, you will see what I mean.

Your block may not have the same triangular thread pattern.

Using the thread lever for general turning will always go faster than using the feed and it will cause premature wear on the half nut.

I would put the two 40 tooth gears back in unless you need to thread metric.

Last edited:
Yes, If you look at the pic I put up, You will see a block in the center of the apron with 3 socket head screws in a triangular pattern, There is a lever coming out of the side of it, You grab a hold of it and pull it up for longitudinal feeding and push it down for feeding in with the cross slide. You have to push it to one side or the other to make it go up or down, It swivels to locate, Look at it, you will see what I mean.

Your block may not have the same triangular thread pattern.

Using the thread lever for general turning will always go faster than using the feed and it will cause premature wear on the half nut.

I would put the two 40 tooth gears back in unless you need to thread metric.
Ok I feel pretty dumb now. I appreciate the information

Ok I feel pretty dumb now. I appreciate the information
Don't feel bad, Many moons ago when I got my first real lathe, A Southbend 13 from 1937. I also did not know how to use it properly, This was pre internet, pre youtube. I started out using the thread lever until my mentor showed me better.

Back