Enco 92010 change gear help

Put up a pic of your threading chart, That will show what gears were included with the lathe and the orientation of them for whatever threading you plan on doing.

Who knows, It may show a 24 tooth gear. Here is a couple of an Enco, Which I believe is what you have.

These 2 pics show 40 tooth gears and the 30 and 32 tooth gears.

1713969260486.png
1713969297077.png

Don't feel bad, Many moons ago when I got my first real lathe, A Southbend 13 from 1937. I also did not know how to use it properly, This was pre internet, pre youtube. I started out using the thread lever until my mentor showed me better.
Harry I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me. This is my small shop at the back of my garage. Please excuse the mess as I just moved in and am still organizing haha

Attachments

• IMG_20240412_184748.jpg
    IMG_20240412_184748.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 11
I wish I would have known this before. I can't wait to get home and see how it works
If you are playing with the feed for the crosslide, Don't let come all the way back towards you and bottom out, It will break the brass gear, If you let it go too far going away from you, All that will happen is the leadscrew will unscrew from the brass nut.

Last edited:
Did you say you got the manual, or still need one? My 92010 came with the original manual and parts list but I think those are scanned and available on the web already. Let me know if not. Great machine.

As a general rule, better lathes have a separate drive shaft to power the feed for turning, separate from the leadscrew used for threading. But cheaper ones make you use the leadscrew for turning, and those can be impossible to slow down the feed enough. Not to mention always using the leadscrew for turning wears it out. So when shopping for a small lathe, avoid the ones with only a lead screw.

As a general rule, better lathes have a separate drive shaft to power the feed for turning, separate from the leadscrew used for threading. But cheaper ones make you use the leadscrew for turning, and those can be impossible to slow down the feed enough. Not to mention always using the leadscrew for turning wears it out. So when shopping for a small lathe, avoid the ones with only a lead screw.
The lathes that use the leadscrew for both turning and threading have a slot in the screw with a sliding key in it. This key engages the extra stage of worm gearing in the apron to slow down the feed for turning.

Back