Feedback on selecting a milling machine

Oddly enough, I am unaware of any BP type vertical mills that are actually undesirable.
This is a really important comment from MrWhoopee. I concur, pending new data, but there are so many import badges around, and as long as they are Bridgeport clones, or slight mutations, and condition is not terrible, and tooling vs. price makes sense, then don’t post about it, call and make a full price offer, subject to inspection and verification. You are now the “guy who’s coming to look at it”. Negotiate any deficiencies in the final price.

There are several mills in the Sacramento area right now at reasonable prices.

Add Lagun and Wells Index to your list. Dave

Going with whatever I find locally... if one of those brands shows up, I will know that I can consider them as well. :encourage:Thank you.

I am busy this week with all the activities for my daughter... she finished her masters degree and we have the graduation tomorrow and a small celebration, with close friends, on Saturday...

Next week all bets are off... if one of the ones I shared on that list is still available and I can make a deal with the seller... or, if something else shows up... I will be sharing an update on it...

So far, not in order of preference, because of the potential price I could get them for and how close they are to our house in Ocala... are:

1985 Supermax YC-1 in Ocala, FL - 9" x 49" table... Variable speed machine. 2 HP motor 3-phase

1981 Bridgeport Milling Machine in Umatilla, FL - 1 HP motor. 3 phase with a V.F.D. 9" x 42" table in good condition (with protective covers). 2 axis D.R.O., X axis power feed, L.E.D. Ringlight around quill, one shot oiler, Kurt vise, work stop on vise.

And then there is that Sharp in Punta Gorda... 9" x 42" table, 3-phase, XY digital readout, X axis power feed - a 6 hour drive to get there and back...

I am scared of that Bridgeport that the motor is making funny noises... but I do not know that if, at 2,000.00, is worth the risk and potential repair costs... so keeping that one on the last place of the list...

You can't beat a Lagun ! ;) I sold one (FTV-2) and kept the BP , almost regret it . Just by chance , I know where a few are and I'm hot on the trail !

Go for the best one, the Sharp. Drive over there late, stay over, pick it up, and come home.

Mechanical variable speed mills day has passed.
That statement might make for an interesting debate. While over my pay grade to understand, I've read discussions of advantages of mechanical speed adjustment delivering higher torque at the tooling tip vs a vfd motor speed adjustment, unless the motor is very oversized. I don't understand and don't come close to having an opinion but Ruemema in Germany who restores and improves lathes to an insane level of precision will only work on Leinen or Schaublin variator drive lathes and don't believe a vfd driven lathe is superior ( I think they believe them to be inferior at low speeds ). Dave

Go for the best one, the Sharp. Drive over there late, stay over, pick it up, and come home.
I was just on messenger with the seller... he is out of town but can arrange to have someone show it to me. 3-phase, but where he has it stored, there is no 3-phase available... carp... I need to see it running...

I just saw an ad of a place that has several machines... no info, but calling tomorrow to talk to the seller...

I see a Wells-Index and an Acra Mill in the photos... will find out the details and asking price...

Wells-Index Milling Machine -1.jpeg

Acra Mill.jpeg

Last edited:
I've got a Jet 9x49 variable speed 2004 machine, R8. I'd hate to have to change belts all the time on a belt drive. The VS system works very well. I did have to replace the belt, less than $50 and a bit of a PIA to do. The 60rpm low end is nice for tapping. @ 3 hp never lacks for power but I've got 3 phase in my shop. When I've rolled the head over to horizontal the extra table length is needed. The Z-axis travel on a knee mill is one of it's big advantages over bench top. Being able to extend the ram, swing the ram and mill the end of parts clamped to the side of the bed also adds versatility. I mounted my X DRO on the ack side of the table so I've used an angle plate to reach past the DRO scale. The Bridgeport type machine has so much adjustability.

If it were me, I'd work hard at finding a way to get some power to that Sharp in Punta Gorda. That machine looks to be in the best shape, is reasonably priced, and is the best choice among the alternatives you list - assuming it survives inspection. I would love to trade my PM-935 for that Sharp. I can't imagine the seller will get any serious offers without being able to demo it under power. Maybe you could work out some kind of arrangment with the seller renting or borrowing an RPC to test it. I'd spend some time on this, and be willing to split part of the cost of powering it with the seller if it passes inspection and the sale goes through.

My second choice would be to focus on the Wells-Index machine. The are still making those (or putting older machines back to original condition) and they cost $19K last time I looked. I came very close to getting one, still wondering if I made the right decision to pass.

I know some people love them, but I wouldn't have a mechanical variable speed Reeves drive in my shop. I have a VFD setup on my belt drive mill, and have never changed belt positions and have speed range of 54-436 in back gear, and 474 to 3780 RPM in normal gearing. Video demonstration of that is here. You might want to watch the following video before going the Reeves drive route.

Aren't both of the Sharps in the pictures Reeves drive ? Choices for J head type mills are step pulley, Reeves, or Electronic Variable speed ( VFD ) that I know of. Doesn't mean there aren't others. Dave

Back