Feedback on selecting a milling machine

In reference to Bridgeport vs clone, I've heard it said that many of the competitors had to make their machines better to get a foot inside the door. I think most of the ones the OP is considering fall into this category if I am not mistaken.

Sorry guys... I was driving back home but wanted to share the video I took while looking at the machines they had for sale. This place is a machine shop about 1/2 hour from me... They are switching to CNC for most of the machines and are selling a few of the manual ones. They will keep one or two manuals, but the rest they are selling. Acra is not for sale... they were actually using it when I was there.

They just moved to this place so most of the stuff is on pallets.

Here are more photos...

IMG_3724.jpeg

IMG_3718.jpeg

IMG_3723.jpeg

IMG_3720.jpeg

Table has seen its share of mishaps... but nothing that I can see interfering with normal use...

IMG_3725.jpeg

Something I could not get from photos is how massive this machine is!!! I kept looking at it and just laughing because I was so naïve thinking I was going to move a machine this size by myself... I need a frigging crew to help...

A few more photos of other things I was looking at...

IMG_3719.jpeg

IMG_3717.jpeg

Drop deck trailer and a pallet jack, getting it off the pallet is the tricky part!

What are they asking for the Wells-Index?

What are they asking for the Wells-Index?

I could not get him to go lower than 4K... but he is willing to do 8K for the Grizzly G0709 and the Wells-Mill...

The Grizzly is their backup lathe...he tells me that it probably has less than 20 hours of use. They have another one just like it and a G0509G (16"x40")... The G0709 is 220V single-phase, so it should work in my garage with what I have... For the Wells-Mill, I will need a VFD to make it work at home.

Grizzly G0709 comes with everything it came with from Grizzly:
6" 3-Jaw chuck with reversible jaws
8" 4-Jaw chuck with independent jaws
11" face plate
Steady rest/follow rest
Full length splash guard
Quick change tool post with 2 tool holders
(2) MT#3 dead centers (1 carbide tipped)
(1) MT#3 live center
(1) MT#5 - MT#3 sleeve
Pull out chip pan
1/2" drill chuck w/ MT#3 arbor
Toolbox

There is nothing (no tooling) included with the Wells-Index

The Clausing looks like a 5914 ?

I am just still in shock of how massive these machines are! :oops:. If I get them now... I am going to have to get rid of a car or find a friend with an empty garage to store one... I can't place the milling machine in a corner because the only corner close to the 220V outlets, has the water filter... I do not think I want any machine near the water filter, lol.

The Clausing looks like a 5914 ?
3-phase, variable speed lathe... He mentioned that because of the variable speed, not a good candidate to try and install a VFD... so I did not take additional photos nor asked any more questions... so I did not get the model number for that one, sorry...

Back