Feedback on selecting a milling machine

Aren't both of the Sharps in the pictures Reeves drive ? Choices for J head type mills are step pulley, Reeves, or Electronic Variable speed ( VFD ) that I know of. Doesn't mean there aren't others. Dave
Yes, both Sharp mills have Reeves drives. If they are 3-phase, they can be powered with a $300 VFD from 220 single-phase, and achieve a broader speed range than what the Reeves drive will provide on it's own.

My point to the OP here is that on the used market for high speed mills, your choices are going to be step pulley or Reeves, even if you power with a vfd. If you are looking at 4K you have to accept a reeves as part of the bargain unless you stay stepped. I would not avoid a reeves machine if the speed change is easy and doesn't have spots where the rpm suddenly jumps. If the pulley is lubricated those drives supply the speed range you can't get from a geared head mill. If you find an electronic variable speed in a great condition machine that may or may not be better but it will be more expensive. Dave

My point to the OP here is that on the used market for high speed mills, your choices are going to be step pulley or Reeves, even if you power with a vfd. If you are looking at 4K you have to accept a reeves as part of the bargain unless you stay stepped. I would not avoid a reeves machine if the speed change is easy and doesn't have spots where the rpm suddenly jumps. If the pulley is lubricated those drives supply the speed range you can't get from a geared head mill. If you find an electronic variable speed in a great condition machine that may or may not be better but it will be more expensive. Dave
All good points. I think I could overlook the Reeves drive on that Sharp. :rolleyes:

Please read this as coming from a newbie that does not know shi!! and is trying to learn.

Being a newbie all I hear is "Bridgeport this, Bridgeport that..." and here we have folks recommending other brands over those.

I am surprised nobody has suggested to go with the Bridgeport that is in Ocala... VFD already installed...

Is there something that I am missing? Why the Sharp over that Bridgeport? Is it that it is a newer machine with more modern accessories?

Do not take it the wrong way. I am trying to understand the recommendation of the Sharp. I will have to spend additional $$ to get that one to work in my garage with only having 240 volts in there... So I need to take that into consideration... Maybe I can negotiate the price down from the seller to make adding a VFD a wash...

Anyway... I also have an appointment with the seller of that Wells-Index... It is a machine shop... and he is always selling machines... has a few lathes as well... mentioned having some Jets (lathe and mills) running on 220... the rest is 3-phase. As you all mentioned/recommended, best to look for a converter...

Will report back after Monday.

The BP is worth looking at for sure. They tend to be priced higher used and don't really have any superiority to the good Taiwan clones. The one in Ocala doesn't have powerfeeds or DRO. Feeds will set you back about $400 for each axis and DRO about 500-750. BP made models with 1.5-3 hp motors and tables in many lengths so more detail might have piqued more interest. Bridgeport has a following and parts are available so consider it but the upcharge may be 2-3K more than a Taiwan clone in the same condition. VFD is a $250 add on. Dave

I'm not clear on why the hatred of reeves drives. They are extremely common, have been in use for ? 80? years in all forms from dirt cheap models to industrial versions. They are mechanically simple. I lack the knowledge about reliability or repair costs but I've got one on a TimeSaver widebelt sander that I bought in the 70's and has been used in a production shop ever since. It is the cheaply made version. has never had a repair. Belts would seem the most likely thing about them to fail. I replaced the belt on my used, (2004) Jet mill VS drive because it was starting to fray. $50. I've spent way more $ on electronic repairs on my shop's production equipment than mechanical fixes.

Being a newbie all I hear is "Bridgeport this, Bridgeport that..." and here we have folks recommending other brands over those.
I'm not clear on why the hatred of reeves drives.
The Bridgeport Turret Mill is the industry standard . Has been long before these clones were introduced . Parts are still available if ever needed and the accessories are endless . My favorite mill is the one I have , the one I'm running , the available one to me to complete a job . A mill is a mill for a hobby shop , you're not running for profit and most likely will never push the envelope on it . I could list my preferences in order but hey , they are MY preferences only . I will say that over the years I've run them all .

I prefer the reeves and have no hatred torwards them . Sure beats changing belts over pulleys .

The BP is worth looking at for sure. They tend to be priced higher used and don't really have any superiority to the good Taiwan clones. The one in Ocala doesn't have powerfeeds or DRO. Feeds will set you back about $400 for each axis and DRO about 500-750. BP made models with 1.5-3 hp motors and tables in many lengths so more detail might have piqued more interest. Bridgeport has a following and parts are available so consider it but the upcharge may be 2-3K more than a Taiwan clone in the same condition. VFD is a $250 add on. Dave
Dave,

I think you are confusing the one in Ocala with the one with the weird engine noise.

The one in Ocala has DRO, powerfeed in X, and VFD

Dave,

I think you are confusing the one in Ocala with the one with the weird engine noise.

The one in Ocala has DRO, powerfeed in X, and VFD
Yes, I didn't see that in the picture. Makes it definite contender.

As to Reeves. There are some machines with power adjustable heavy Reeves ( Moore and Rivett ) where the belts and parts are expensive and hard to source but the more common ones are not. Proper belt and belt condition are a big deal.

I may have mentioned before, the the early Alliant machines were considered the equal or slightly better than the original BP so an Alliant should be in the hunt too. Dave

Back