Help with Clausing 4903 Magnetic Starter

In order to get voltage to the contactor coil you need to get voltage to #3 terminal so orange has to be on #3 terminal. On your drum switch when you turn it to whatever direction can you keep turning it a bit further until the contact between black and orange makes up then it springs back to maintain whatever direction you want? Might have to use a bit of force but not so hard it breaks anything. Do you have a diagram under the switch cover and a model number you can take a pic of?

Attachments

• IMG_0392.jpeg
    IMG_0392.jpeg
    375.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0391.jpeg
    IMG_0391.jpeg
    377.3 KB · Views: 4
The label says the same as I guessed that the drum switch has to be moved to the extreme forward or reverse to pull in the contactor so let me know if that works.

Ah, those are momentary contacts- hmmm. The same ones that seemed bent- hmmm

Thanks! Problem solved!

While the contacts do look bent compared to the others, they appear to be intentionally so and did not impede the rotating blades from making momentary contact.

Turns out the issue seems to be related to the contacts in the contact block or a jumper wire rubbing against the movable portion of the coil. I dissassembled and cleaned out some foreign debris (minimal) , cleaned the contacts and reassemble. Also noticed one of the jumper wires was just touching the ‘plunger” that pushes the contacts up. Not sure if the friction was too much for the coil to overcome, the contacts were dirty or stuck from debris, but after re assembly everything worked without any issues and ran like a champ!

Back