Joining the Takisawa club!!

Wow, I like and I wish!
Congratulations on progress so far. Are you removing metal yet?
I noticed a pic of your lathe on one of the other threads. It looks like yours came with the backsplash. I'm not sure if mine is an original or not, does yours look similar to mine? If so I'm curious on how yours is mounted to the lathe. There's a tab welded on the tailstock side that bolts to the bed on mine which looks original but the headstock side looks kind of homemade.

Attachments

• 1022191516_HDR~2.jpg
    1022191516_HDR~2.jpg
    624 KB · Views: 20
  • 1022191528_HDR~2.jpg
    1022191528_HDR~2.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 1023191830~2.jpg
    1023191830~2.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 20
Zamboni2355, my backsplash was fabbed out of sheet metal by the previous (and only) owner. It has a lower lip that just rests in the sump cutout, and there is a bracket on the rear of the headstock that holds it upright. The tailstock side is held up with a 2x4, i’m chagrined to say. Then there is a wood cap over the backsplash that holds a dozen or so QC tool holders.

Zamboni2355, my backsplash was fabbed out of sheet metal by the previous (and only) owner. It has a lower lip that just rests in the sump cutout, and there is a bracket on the rear of the headstock that holds it upright. The tailstock side is held up with a 2x4, i’m chagrined to say. Then there is a wood cap over the backsplash that holds a dozen or so QC tool holders.
Thanks for the response.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Our lathes look identical. I notice some have more speeds, I guess they have a two speed motor. So far this speed range does everything I’ve needed.

..."My new belts were too small. I bought A64 belts. I guess i need A65 or A66. "

Hi Jeff, Sorry to give you bum information. What did you end up with for belts? I have a set of A64 sitting waiting to be installed!

Ray

..."My new belts were too small. I bought A64 belts. I guess i need A65 or A66. "

Hi Jeff, Sorry to give you bum information. What did you end up with for belts? I have a set of A64 sitting waiting to be installed!

Ray
Don't worry about it Ray. The belts that were on it where A66 and they were basically touching so I figured in A64 belt might fit but it didn't. Not a big deal with Amazon Prime return policy. Unfortunately Amazon did not have an a65 Belt with Prime the next day delivery so I ordered an a66 hoping that maybe the extreme deteriorated condition of my belts meant maybe they were stretched but they weren't and know i know an a66 belt is too long. I have since ordered an a65 belt from another online company so I'm not sure how long it'll be before I get it. Hopefully not too long.

Got the lathe off the skid and on the ground. I got used to it sitting on the skid and it looks so short now! Lol. Also filled the headstock with spindle oil.
Getting closer to cutting chips!

Jeff
cd676ecea89b2bd644865f81030697ee.jpg

I ran three 4x4s front to back with steel plates between the leveling screws and the top of the boards. The extra height was very helpful. It’s a little squat otherwise.

I ran three 4x4s front to back with steel plates between the leveling screws and the top of the boards. The extra height was very helpful. It’s a little squat otherwise.
I think i read that in another thread...maybe? I saw where someone was well over 6ft tall and they raised with 4x4.

I have leveling feet that will take it up an inch or two. Im only 5'9 so I'll get it leveled and play with it and in time I'll decide if i think it needs to go up a bit or not.

Jeff

Back