Just came to crab about youtube

Reddinr

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
So I used to have my morning coffee and sometimes browse through interesting videos that would come up on my home screen in youtube. That modern-life pleasure is pretty much gone now and I only go to my subscribed favorites now. I do wish the home screen filtering tools were more useful.

I wish it would:

If I mark a few similar channels "don't show me" or "not interested" then channels like them should not show up either. Eg. Video game junk, K-pop music videos, lofi, top 10 lists, anything with a face-palm image, anything "worst ever", "best ever", "I can't believe I...", cat videos etc. I know, some people must love these subjects but I don't.

Instead, the marked ones go away and are back-filled with worse versions of the same subjects. End of crab session, for now.

Also, just because I watch one video on a particular subject does not mean I want to see 50 more just like it. Ok. Now I'm done.

Agree, YouTube's home screen just shoves more of the same at you. I wish there was an option to broaden the algorithm that finds home screen stuff. I also can't find an option to delete "topics" that it has decided you want to see.

So I used to have my morning coffee and sometimes browse through interesting videos that would come up on my home screen in youtube. That modern-life pleasure is pretty much gone now and I only go to my subscribed favorites now. I do wish the home screen filtering tools were more useful.

I wish it would:

If I mark a few similar channels "don't show me" or "not interested" then channels like them should not show up either. Eg. Video game junk, K-pop music videos, lofi, top 10 lists, anything with a face-palm image, anything "worst ever", "best ever", "I can't believe I...", cat videos etc. I know, some people must love these subjects but I don't.

Instead, the marked ones go away and are back-filled with worse versions of the same subjects. End of crab session, for now.

Also, just because I watch one video on a particular subject does not mean I want to see 50 more just like it. Ok. Now I'm done.

Were they good cat vids ? :rolleyes:

I've found that joining others wi-fi and people joining yours makes the youtube algorithm do odd things.

Stu

Search for a topic that interests you, and watch a couple of the videos all the way to the end. Even if they suck, watch them.
You'll now be cluttered with related videos.
The algo doesn't seem to care what you search for. It's what you watch that they count. I could be wrong, but I'm very careful to skip out of anything that I don't want to be deluged with.

Blasting cap videos- can't get enough of those
Or teaching your Venus Fly trap to hold a cigarette?

My most hated are the "machinist/welder/whatever at the next level"........ every one that's been suggested is just simply STUPID JUNK!

I almost swore yt! off forever before AdBlock Plus finally caught up with their in-line ad BS.
I do NOT watch network TV without the remote in my hand to mute the repetitive, stupid, repetitive, TOO LOUD and repetitive commercials.
Often I'll watch re-runs off my NAS just to avoid having to babysit it.
There's no way I can tolerate yt! videos with ads....... simply not worth the "cost"!

Thanks @Reddinr is does feel good to vent (venting prevents ex-plo-sion).

Brian

Yes. "to the next level" should be a banned phrase due to the irritation factor of overuse alone.

Back