Just came to crab about youtube

Also, you can't fast-forward through embedded sponsor ads. At least that is my experience.
I only have a couple of creators that I follow that take a few minutes to shill for thier sponsors and in those two cases, I am able to fast forward. No idea if this is just unique to the two that I follow though. "Mentour Pilot" is one of those

I hear ya on the you tube gripes.
I use adblock Ultimate on Linux using firefox and it seems to keep the ads away.
You tube is pretty ordinary in what they dredge up as entertainment and cover my subscription page with.

I'm using Adblocker ultimate on my linux/ firefox now- pretty good. uBlock origin is also good, don't remember why I switched, but there
was a reason. I seem to remember it didn't shut down autoplay videos that well on SFGate

I got into the car guys for a while. Hoovie's and Car Wizard. Tavarish. And that cat in Florida who buys exotics and (tries) to fix them. Succeeds, sometimes- Samcrac

Last edited:
Adam and Quinn need to get paid.......

I agree, mostly.....

The way I use yt! is for researching a very specific repair information say radio repair on a 2012 Dodge Ram, or removing stubborn rear-wheel bearings. I usually end-up watching one-off videos from different people.

The closest I came was considering ClickSprings patreon page. He does amazing work, but I am too utilitarian, I'll never spend the time building an antikythera analog computer. I did build a number of gyroscopes based on his plans, techniques and brass cutting lathe bit but only as a time saver when building xmas gifts.

I currently spend very little time in front of a computer when I get home.
After being on one all day at work, I am ready to do something else.
I have never subscribed to a channel on yt, and don't even know if I have an account.... I guess I probably do since I have setup a couple android devices.... I have never logged in to yt.

If I ever find myself watching much content from one source I will find a way to support them.
Hopefully they have patreon or some-such; I doubt I'll ever accept commercials.

Brian

Ads are a whole separate gripe! I am not anti-ad if the ad revenue actually went equitably to the video producers. It would be better if the ads were related to the content.

My anti-favorites are:

Guy tapping on spoon next to ear talking about "do this everyday to cure tinitus".
Illustration of squatting unclothed guy with some long object in hand "do this every day to cure prostate problems"
The fire blanket one with woman saying "oh my god" while the idiot man tries to fan out the flaming grill fire. (Not that a fire blanket is a bad idea.)
Oh and of course, the endless solar panel ads.

I think the pseudo-medical click-bait ones are near criminal. There is way too much confusion out there aimed at the uninitiated to add to it.

AddBlockPlus is working well for me to block Youtube adds. Also had it's issues but this seemed to have cleared up a couple of weeks ago. Of course, I don't think anything will block the embedded sponsor adds by the creators themselves, but generally they are easy to fast forward through and only a few content providers have them.
Thanks for the heads-up on Adblock Plus. I turned off my Ublock Origin and installed Adblock. It seems to have done the trick in blocking the ads prior to the video. I just pulled up a few automotive "this is a good car to buy" videos, which always have a crap ton of ads. I didn't see one.

So thanks!

With their subscriber count and video production frequency I am very sure they are paid. Just check out the cash Adam is spending on new machines.
most of those are sponsored. Very little is bought.

Back