Maynard civil war era carbine, hobby machinist built

Im new to this forum, but I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread and has got me inspired. I have a Ruger 10/22 in the safe and a brand new to me 12x36 lathe in the basement that seem like the pair should keep me occupied through the winter. Once my skills and confidence gain I would love to build a single shot american classic.

By the way Alpha, is that the 23rd gun you have built?

Farmass
You'll have a lot of fun and learn a lot along the way.Glad to hear I inspired somebody.

Last week I found an old gunsmith that has a rack of about 60 old beaters he'll sell for 3 for a hundred bucks..Most of them are old broken junk .22s ..I figure to go back and buy some..Its satisfying to fix up old ones..They maybe are not worth what you'd have in'em but I am partial to .22s and dont think you can have too many plinkers..That #23 on the Maynard includes the guns I have done extensive rebuilding...I think I've shown here in this thread about everything I have built ...
If I live long enough I would like to build or rebuild one of every breechloading carbine used in the Anerican Civil War.There were about 20 of them..I've now built the Maynard and we're discussing building the Sharps which was also used in the war..Also drooling over building a Burnside..I really only like Classic American made arms.

Wow,

That is a beautiful piece. I'm new to the forum and still having some difficulty navigating so I hope this isn't to obvious. Are there plans for this piece or any other civil war weponry available on this site? Or any other site for that matter.

Thanks!

Joe

Wow,

That is a beautiful piece. I'm new to the forum and still having some difficulty navigating so I hope this isn't to obvious. Are there plans for this piece or any other civil war weponry available on this site? Or any other site for that matter.

Thanks!

Joe

Joe
Full view Drawings are impossible to find for most of the old guns. Best to have an original gun in hand and then set to work to replicate it...Thats best because you can be certain that its correct unlike drawings which often have errors...... Second best option is to work from simple sketchs found online or in some books like Dehaas's "Single Shot Rifles and Actions" ..I built the Maynard from the simple drawing in Frank DeHaas book "More Single Shot Rifles and Actions" - and also had a gentleman who actually owns an original Maynard to give me the thickness measurements for upper and lower tang, hammer and trigger.If hadnt been for him getting those dims for me I would simply have assigned them appropriate dimensions per averages seen in other guns. In the two DeHaas books there are nearly a hundred old rifles shown in simple drawings that are sufficient to enable a sharp fellow to build himself a fairly good copy of the authentic rifles....His "Single Shot Rifles and Actions" is the out of print and better book but his second book in the series "More Single Shot Rifles and Actions has some good in it too..What I used to build the Maynard

http://www.ebay.com/itm/More-Single...221491?pt=Vintage_Hunting&hash=item56510136b3

I love to play in my home workshop..Guns are good projects because must use every machine in the shop..I buy rifled barrel blanks but make every other part, every bolt and spring...Next I will work on Winchester 1873 that I started with an original bare receiver and then build lever, toggle links, hammer, trigger and all else..Actually have it more'n half done already..Will show it when its done.

This here rifle is a .25-35 caliber 1885 Highwall..Finished it yesterday. Loaded ammo today..Intend to go to the gun range with it tomorrow. Have fired it a few times out back........016.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

This is first time I have used a laminated wood blank.025.JPG

016.JPG 025.JPG

Nothing like a falling block. I also love the look of the Fraser and Farquharson single shot rifles. It one reason I bought a Ruger No1, even though it is only a 22 Hornet.

When you shoot that 25-35, keep the 45 ammo at home this time!
Pierre

Awww , Pierre , you apparently read my post to Homegunsmith dot com where I admitted to confusing two other Highwall rifles and fired a .38-55 pill down a .45 Colt pipe.Youre right In fact the .25-35 cartridge could accidently be fired in a Colt .45 chamber if I were careless enough to repeat my mistakes..For curious readers here is that picture.002.JPG

Nothing like a falling block. I also love the look of the Fraser and Farquharson single shot rifles. It one reason I bought a Ruger No1, even though it is only a 22 Hornet.

When you shoot that 25-35, keep the 45 ammo at home this time!
Pierre

002.JPG

Alpha, love your Bee. It is one of my favorite cartridges because it is the second cartridge I started handloading. I have a Contender 10" Octagon in .218 Bee and I am going to build a Chicopee CF in the same caliber. You are right that this is great hobby once you have the equipment and tooling! After that just a modest investment in some metal for the parts and you can keep yourself occupied for a good long while.

Scott This last Highwall was going to be .218 BEE. I had a new Green Mountain .22 centerfire barrel screwed in it then got interested in .25-35 and took that arrel off....So I still want to build a single shot .218 BEE though I havent decided what action that I want to build for it..Highwalls are tough builds..Stevens 44 and 1/2 are worlds easier, I may slam one of them together in .218 BEE..I cant mount a scope on the Winchester model 65 ..Want a single shot .218BEE with a scope so I can actually hit something with my poor eyesight. The .218 BEE can be loaded into one wicked hot little round..
And I agree with your 'rithmatic..A barrel blank, chunk of walnut and bit of steel- a couple hundred dollars total and I am set for entertainment for several months.. Most of my builds have cost me less than that......Metalsworking- more expensive than gardening, cheaper than bass fishing:biggrin:

Thank all of you. Excellent work ,I hope to reach the level to do the things I see being done here.

Back