Men and our Prostate Glands

You can have a sleep study done at home now. I am sleeping through the night, where I used to get up at least 2 times. I do not snore, but I do have interruptions, and some odd things happening when I sleep. The C-PAP has it under control, getting used to it was a b i t c h, but totally worth it. I'm not sure if weight is part of my issue but I'm 6'2" 225, I would be happier at 200 though.

If the prostate is enlarged enough it will cause incomplete emptying of the bladder as well.

1,2,3 times a night depending on the amount of beer consumption. Sometimes more frequent during the day after drinking coffee and really get busy if I drink water right after drinking coffee.

I did have my PSA checked a while back and the nunnery are low

Tim

Four years ago I was beginning to experience troublesome urinary issues. It started with frequent sleep interruptions to relieve myself during the night. Then it evolved into exceedingly long times to take a whiz (like 5 minutes). Then I had an MRI for an unrelated issue and discovered a large bladder stone. The development of the bladder stone was diagosed to be a result of my inability to fully empty the bladder - no matter long how long I stood over the toilet. Clearly the bladder stone had to be removed, but the source of its creation needed to be addressed as well.

The solution for me was an outpatient visit to the hospital where a urologist pulverized and removed the bladder stone, and a performed a procedure known as a TURP (Transurethral resection of the prostate). The TURP basically enlarges the pathway of the urethra (the pipe the runs from the bladder, through the prostate, to the exit door). The entire process took less than 30 minutes under general anesthesia, was minimally invasive (no surgery - all done via a urethra), and I was in and out of the hospital in under six hours.

The results have been a amazing - urination like a race horse again, with zero impacts on any of the other related functions (if you get my meaning). It was covered 100 percent by Medicare.

Here is a link to some information on the TURP procedure. And there are even newer alternatives available today - link here.

Definitions:
Prostate: Noun - a walnut-sized gland located between the bladder and the penis.
Prostrate: Adj. - lying stretched out on the ground with one's face downward.

I had an aggressive form of prostate cancer back in 02. Two days after the biopsy results I was in surgery, and they removed my prostate. It took about four months to regain some semblance of bladder control, but I'm breathing. There may be better options available today. As we age it's definitely something to pay attention to. Mike

Definitions:
Prostate: Noun - a walnut-sized gland located between the bladder and the penis.

This definition is WRONG! For me, it is a gland the size of RHODE ISLAND! I've been taking 25mg of Zinc every day and it has helped reduce my night time visits to the potty.

Jeff , they took my bladder AND prostate out in March . Getting old sucks ,but it beats the alternative I guess . Any questions , ask away . This is not a rare thing , everyone I talk to is going thru bladder , prostate , colon problems . Dave .

Well, if you get an Rx for urinary catheters, frequent use can sometimes help stretch/dilate things. I’ll leave it to you to decide which is the lesser evil.

If the prostate is enlarged enough it will cause incomplete emptying of the bladder as well.
My first go around with these catheters was quite an experience . I had my bladder scraped in the first operation . Had a catheter installed . After 5 days , had to pull it out myself . What a relief ! 8 days later , I had a follow up at the Urologist and everything was GREAT ! One hour after my check up , I walk thru my door , and CAN'T PEE . Blood clotted in the bladder and was fuller than Lake Michigan . Ended up 4 days / nights in the ER for a manual whatever and a huge garden hose stuck into me once again . WORST pain I've ever felt . After all these operations , I'm not really shy anymore , I'll say that . Lots of people have seen my junk in the garage and basements , but many MORE have seen my private junk . Just saying . :eek: :grin: :encourage:

Back