Men and our Prostate Glands

I picked up a prescription of Flowmax. 0.4 MG
Man, the side affects of these drugs can be scary.

Jeff,
Your last sentence is my concern also. Although, after 12 years, I would consider my prostate cancer cured, I would not use testosterone because it stimulates the growth of prostate cells and would also promote the growth of any cancer cells that might be lurking in the shadows.

The side effects of Flomax, as with other drugs, is dose dependent and they use a dose that is low enough to reduce the risk of side effects. Of course, it is good to be aware of the potential side effects, so that you will recognize them if they do occur. It works like a blood pressure pill so the most likely side effect is dizziness, mainly when you stand up suddenly. If you are on other blood pressure pills they may need to be reduced.

When you use health food products you never know what side effects they have because the manufacturers don't want to know about it and do not do the necessary research. Anything that has a beneficial effect will also have side effects. If they claim "an effect" then it must have side effects as well. If it doesn't have side effects it probably doesn't work. So now I can get off my hobby horse!

And yes I care about prostate health. Ever since my favorite musician of all time (Frank Zappa) died of prostate cancer I get regular PSA tests and the finger up the rear to prevent what is a real bad way to die..
Old thread but last time there I told the Doc at least he could have taken his ring off . He came back with , " that wasn't my ring , that was my watch " !!!! :eek:

I just tripped over this thread today. So I thought I'd share my own experience. It's been a 16 month journey so far, which I've chronicled in the attached document. I would encourage anyone else going though this to read the attached, and reach out if you have any questions.

Attachments

• My Prostate Cancer Journey.pdf
    142.8 KB · Views: 15
Thank you for the log of your journey! I too, have been researching all aspects of my prostate issue. From what I can gather, the statement that you made, “they are at the mercy of a bunch of clinicians who can’t agree on a standard of care and are often in conflict with one another as to proper treatment recommendations” seems to hold true. The line in my Biopsy Tissue Sample, “ Perineural invasion: Present” has me pretty bothered at this time. Trying to stay busy to keep my mind off of it. I am 71 and in fair physical shape. A lot to think about. Once again, thank you!

Thank you for the log of your journey! I too, have been researching all aspects of my prostate issue. From what I can gather, the statement that you made, “they are at the mercy of a bunch of clinicians who can’t agree on a standard of care and are often in conflict with one another as to proper treatment recommendations” seems to hold true. The line in my Biopsy Tissue Sample, “ Perineural invasion: Present” has me pretty bothered at this time. Trying to stay busy to keep my mind off of it. I am 71 and in fair physical shape. A lot to think about. Once again, thank you!
That is a concerning diagnosis. Have you gone in for a PSMA/PET scan yet? That will give a crude indication about how it has spread and if bone tissue is involved. I would highly recommend you tune into this organization and watch the videos that are related to your situation:
https://pcri.org/
Also the following resources:

David, Thank you again for your reply. It is Greatly Appreciated! I am scheduled for the PSMA/PET scan on Wednesday in Madison. I will read the links you have posted, hoping to gain more understanding, so that I too, can make the correct decision. Keith

Back