Men and our Prostate Glands

Once an English major always an English major I guess. But the word is prostate - not prostrate which means laying face down, flat out...
And yes I care about prostate health. Ever since my favorite musician of all time (Frank Zappa) died of prostate cancer I get regular PSA tests and the finger up the rear to prevent what is a real bad way to die..

Recently helped my dad recover from a simple prostatectomy done with the single port DaVinci robotic surgery unit. He was really miserable before and has full bladder control and flow now. Haven't seen him this happy in a long time. Recovery was pretty good within a week and back to 98% in a month or so.

The other day I was working on my Bobcat skidsteer replacing the spool valve seals in the Sunstrand hydraulic pump.
I had to lay prostrate on my prostate to access the valve. Folks who have had to work on their Bobcat hydraulics
would know what I'm talking about.

I had my PSA #s go way high a few yrs ago.
It’s hard to remain dignified while the doctor and his nurse put a camera tool up your bum to take samples of your prostate.
Click, click, click…..

My dad had Prostrate cancer in his 70s, another bout in early 80s, eventually lead to bladder and colon cancer that took him.

With his history, i've had a urologist for some time, so been bending over for what seems like forever. Never had a measurable PSA, but have been on Avodart for over a decade. Tried the OTC supplements/vitamins, but did nothing for me. Originally prescribed Avodart due to low flow, no measurable PSA, no sex issues. Low flow followed by a little dribble at the end, which lead to occasional wet spots on clothes.

Drugs not a quick fix, so they added Flomax. Took a while to shrink the prostrate, but did at least finally shrunk enough to get a steady stream, even if still a bit slow, with no dribble. Later Flomax was determined to be cause of my dizziness (especially when outside in the summer sun), so they stopped it years ago. Still on Avodart.

Discussions with Urologist revealed that after the prostrate shrinkage happens to whatever level it will go to, one does not to be on a daily dosage any longer. Took Avodart on and off for a while, but flow always seemed to slow down when off; could have been my imagination. Have stayed daily for past several years. Avodart also supposed to cut PSA reading in half.

Apparently one Avodart long term side affect is can lead to sexual dysfunction issues. Doctor recommends I stay on it, despite the risk. Wants to perform a visualization procedure and discuss some former European surgical options when I go back in fall (not the roto-rooter). Will see.
Something about a flap opening? It’s supposed to allow better flow.
He prescribed flowmax and did warn me about dizziness and fatigue. He said if I get symptoms, quit taking it, makes sense.

My dad, his brother and their father, my grandfather, all had prostrate/prostate cancer.

Last edited:
You can have a sleep study done at home now. I am sleeping through the night, where I used to get up at least 2 times. I do not snore, but I do have interruptions, and some odd things happening when I sleep. The C-PAP has it under control, getting used to it was a b i t c h, but totally worth it. I'm not sure if weight is part of my issue but I'm 6'2" 225, I would be happier at 200 though.
I had the cpap machine for a while. I wasn’t sleeping well so they did another study, found I didn’t have it anymore?
I’m not complaining.

Once an English major always an English major I guess. But the word is prostate - not prostrate which means laying face down, flat out...
And yes I care about prostate health. Ever since my favorite musician of all time (Frank Zappa) died of prostate cancer I get regular PSA tests and the finger up the rear to prevent what is a real bad way to die..
Thanks,
I fixed it.
I can make a fool out of myself with one arm tied behind my back :)

My first go around with these catheters was quite an experience . I had my bladder scraped in the first operation . Had a catheter installed . After 5 days , had to pull it out myself . What a relief ! 8 days later , I had a follow up at the Urologist and everything was GREAT ! One hour after my check up , I walk thru my door , and CAN'T PEE . Blood clotted in the bladder and was fuller than Lake Michigan . Ended up 4 days / nights in the ER for a manual whatever and a huge garden hose stuck into me once again . WORST pain I've ever felt . After all these operations , I'm not really shy anymore , I'll say that . Lots of people have seen my junk in the garage and basements , but many MORE have seen my private junk . Just saying . :eek: :grin: :encourage:
Ayup. After a prostatectomy and radiation treatment for positive lymph nodes found during the surgery, and 4 years of hormone therapy, the dignity kind of goes out the door. I even have three tattoos that were used for alignment in the radiation machine. A years ago started pissing blood and blocked up, a delayed effect of radiation, "late radiation cystitis". What fun, didn't go anywhere for several months without carrying a catheter in case of need.

I was a hospital doctor in Tennessee until I retired at age 70 (2020). My father died of metastatic prostate cancer at age 94. Back when I was 60 I checked my PSA. It was 4.7 and on repeat 3.7. So, when I next ran into our urologist I requested a prostate biopsy. Done the next day. Mayo said there were cancer cells. Went to vanderbilt University for a DaVinci robotic prostatectomy. Path said 10% cancer cells but clear margins. Good. PSA =0 after 12 years.

But I was disappointed to have leaking on physical activity. So I had an artificial sphincter placed. It gradually stopped working well. Replaced with a bigger one. Still have to use a pad. But life is good otherwise. I'm sure the device helps but not quite 100% reliable. It is like a tiny blood pressure cuff placed around the urethra. It is kept inflated from a reservoir of saline placed inside the abdomen, so that when you cough the increased abdominal pressure squeezes the valve tighter. There is another bulb acting as a pump inside the scrotum. It pumps water out of the cuff back into the reservoir. There is a controlled leak that causes the cuff to re-inflate in a couple of minutes. No electronics, No remote control saying GO / No-GO.

My thought is that PSA is still very useful as a crude screening tool, but the prostate biopsy is the ultimate test. If there are problems with interpretation it is a problem with the pathology, not PSA testing. So I still advocate PSA. Urologists I have spoken to agree. They say they are seeing more advanced cases since they reduced the promotion of PSA testing.

My father was diagnosed with prostate cancer and chose to have the radioactive seeds implanted.
He struggled for over a year with it. He had a catheter for most of that time due to swelling.
Once he got his blood sugar under control the prostate settled down.
He was in his late 60’s at the time.
My brother and I watch our PSA scores religiously.

I have low testosterone as well. Found this out during a regular check up. The Androgel is no longer being absorbed.
If I test two hours after I apply the gel the screening shows less than 150. Without it I’m in the 60-70’s.
They want you to be in the 250-450 range I believe.
Low testosterone could cause muscle loss, confusion, low libido, poor memory.. i forgot the rest :)

Anyway, my Urologist wants me on the injection. I give them to myself. I’ll start that program soon.
This could increase my chances of cancer. Great. It’s the best of two evils I guess.

Back