Micke's Vintage Munktell Lathe

Thank You Mike, I'm hoping to be able to fire up lathe later this weekend !

I've got a nice vintage precision spirit level. It is not as sensitive as a professional machinist level, but 3-4 times more sensitive than common spirit levels for e.g. wood work.

DSC04643.JPG

The motor and stand are test mounted on the lathe without remarks and a flat belt is ordered. I TIG-welded the stand and it looked like sh-t since I'm not used to TIG welding. So I reinforced the critical welds with the MIG afterwards. It was silly to even try the TIG on this type of work but I though it would be a rewarding exercise.

The color is exactly the same as on the lathe. The lathe looks a lot more green on the photo though due to light effect. There is only one more layer of paint to do and then I can start the assembly.

DSC04645.JPG

A small setback in the process showed up today. The paint seemed to be in a good condition. But on all horizontal surfaces where the lathe have been hit with tools and whatever, the paint is very easy to remove. I guess that cutting fluids and other stuff have undermined the paint during all these years. So it is just to remove everything that is not solid and repaint these parts. I hope this also means the final result will be a bit better than planned. The first pic is a place where the paint it great and is quite solid. The next pic are areas where all paint needs to be removed.DSC04648.JPG DSC04649.JPG

Thank You Mike. The flat belt will probably come today and the lathe will then be up and running this weekend.

Looking good. Painting old equipment can be a real pain, but it feels well worthwhile when you see the final result. Mike

Back