Micke's Vintage Munktell Lathe

Thank You Fomogo. Your observations are clever and precise, as always.

The assembly of the spindle axle was a lot more more difficult than expected. Test run tomorrow :)

DSC04664.JPG

DSC04665.JPG

DSC04666.JPG T

Finally, the lathe is running and everything appears to be OK. I've added drip oiler's since I'm used to this method from the other lathe and it works well.

The high frequency pitch is from the motor control. I heard it already when the motor was bench-tested.

Lathe ready.jpg

DSC04670.JPG

Cool, I like the oiler's. Now you have one more tool to help save the next project. Mike

This is the chuck that normally will be fitted to the Munktell lathe. It is a quite big 4-jaws chuck with individual jaw setting. I'll still be using the trusty Örn/Storebro lathe for normal operations. Everything seems to be in order now so it is just to put on some paint where needed-

DSC04682.JPG

Last edited:
Thank You Mike for the encouraging words. Yes maybe I could at least be a little proud even though I've been struggling a lot. I have saved a fine old machine without destroying it and the long waited for reorganizing of the garage is now done. The only modification on the lathe is eight 6 mm threaded holes for the motor stand, which could be filled if needed. But I'm surprised how many mistakes I've been doing in this project. This is fine since it gives worth-full experiences and it will be easier to avoid traps in the future.

First live test by flattening the inside of and old frying pan. The pan has never been used since it has had a major casting error with a 1 1/2" wide 1 mm deep ditch inside the side wall. The pan became absolutely flat and with a very fine finish. The moiré pattern is not caused by the lathe but after a final touch with 180 grit paper where the paper was not moved in a stable matter by hand. It is not something that can be felt though. I was surprised that it was such easy work and that the result became so good.

DSC04687.JPG

DSC04688.JPG DSC04691.JPG

Back