Micke's Vintage Munktell Lathe

Muy binito. Looking pretty good for an old girl. Mike

The 3-jaws chuck got an overhaul today. It was disassembled, cleaned and lubricated. The back plate has been beaten before and got a touch-up, and the chuck was then centered. The grip is firm and straight and the run-out is about one third of a thou (0.008 mm). I could have adjusted it better but there are no practical reasons for that what I know. It is a lot more stuff that comes into play and needs to be in control to keep high accuracy when turning.

DSC04705.JPG
DSC04706.JPG

Last edited:
Bacho lathe.jpg This old Swedish Bacho lathe came up locally today in an ad. The price is 150 dollars and there is a lot of tooling and accessories including a new drive belt and a brand new SKF MT4 live center. I guess that just the machine lamp will return the money. Personally I neither have room or need for it but it is an interesting vintage machine. It is said to be 1957 but it must be much older. I guess early 1900.

Last edited:
Great score on the lathe. I know I wouldn't have been able to pass it by for that kind of money. Base's like that go for pretty big money in the states for custom table builds. Being a hopeless machine lover I'd probably go over it and pass it on after deciding which tooling/accessories I wanted to keep. Mike

I should have understood that saying "I'll just have a looksie", results in future work.... The Vintage Bacho Lathe project will be presented in a separate thread :)

The Munktell lathe is now provided with a DRO and three scales - for top feed, cross feed and the length feed.

DSC04815.JPG DSC04823.JPG DSC04824.JPG

Last edited:
:grin::grin::grin::drool:
if i were in Sweeden, i'd scrape it for you!
the lathe really looks great and now with the DRO you have a very nice tool to make precision parts!
very well done!!!

Machine looks great. Bet your going to love the DRO. Will you be using some kind of cable guide on the back of the carriage? Mike

Back