My Logan 12x24 lathe project

Tank you sir! I didn't want to hijack the OP thread , just show him he is not alone to own a little Logan. I see you got a Burke mill, I see one for sale at a close action here on my side of the fence...Powermatic MVN Millrite (1974) I don't know the value of those, they are rare and she look clean...I post pictures and info in Milling section ASAP.

No worries on the hijacking, I like to see other peoples machinery too. Your 2525 seems to be a somewhat older equivalent of my 2555 from looking at the Logan website. Any idea what year it was built? I'm also envious you have your big "Logan" plate on the front of the headstock, hopefully I'll find one eventually.

I got some more painting done last night (free hand painting the letters on the back belt cover) and did a bunch more cleaning on lathe bed and headstock. Should be able to get that painted soon (maybe tomorrow as I have the day off). I'm still waiting on the new change lever shaft and oilite bushings for the QC box from Logan, so I haven't done more cleaning on that. I'll post up some pics of the back cover when I get a chance.

Tank you sir! I didn't want to hijack the OP thread , just show him he is not alone to own a little Logan. I see you got a Burke mill, I see one for sale at a close action here on my side of the fence...Powermatic MVN Millrite (1974) I don't know the value of those, they are rare and she look clean...I post pictures and info in Milling section ASAP.
I almost closed a deal on one of those millrites, they are closer to a bridgeport but a little smaller and not quite as powerful, larger table too. My little burke will serve me well for what I want to do with it and in the space I have. A millright would have to stay in my unheated garage as I don't think I could get it in the basement due to the weight, even if I took it apart, and it is much larger than my burke and it might not fit in the space the burke is in. I even passed on a loaded rong fu mill to get the burke for the same money, I like a knee mill.
OOPS! Thread jack..............just a little conversation while we are waiting for pics. LOL

Only difference between a 2525V and a 2555V it's the 3 drawer on mine, that's why she's 30 pounds heavier! If I remember well the serial number date my lathe to 1967 or 1969..... This never bother me since the bed look as good has new. I seen a OEM plate for sale on Ebay last year, you may get lucky and found one again.

The only problem with the Millrite is tilting the head! It's a Payne in the a...But some fit a Bridgeport head, not sure if it's a "M" or a "J" with 2 hp motor.

Here a pic of the Millrite She's just 6 feet's high UPDATE THIS MILLING IS MINE NOW ! :thumbsup:
FS332187-236191.jpg

FS332187-236191.jpg

Last edited:
Only difference between a 2525V and a 2555V it's the 3 drawer on mine, that's why she's 30 pounds heavier! If I remember well the serial number date my lathe to 1967 or 1969..... This never bother me since the bed look as good has new. I seen a OEM plate for sale on Ebay last year, you may get lucky and found one again.

Ah ok, didn't know that was the difference, the Logan site doesn't mention it beyond saying "cabinet" on yours and "pedestal" on mine. The only difference I can see between them is mine has three shelves with a door and yours has 3 drawers. Other than that the cabinet is the same, not really sure how that would make the 35lbs of difference between them (though those weights are shipping, not actual lathe weights, so it could be how they were packed). If yours is a late '60s it's actually newer than mine, which was built in '61 (same year as I was), what's your serial number?

As promised, more pics...

I took the day off today and did the final cleaning on the lathe bed/beadstock, then scuffed it up and cleaned it with wax/grease remover. I got most of a first coat on it before I ran out of paint (great pre-planning Bill), went over to Lowes and picked up more paint and some rollers to finish off the first coat. Now I just have to put a couple more coats on the upper then clean/scuff/mask the lower cabinet so it can be painted and disassemble/clean/paint the tailstock. Tailstock has already been apart and cleaned once already though so it's just a matter of getting the fresh oil back off of it and scuffing before paint. I may do a little detail painting on some of the handles as well... we'll see how ambitious I am. This isn't "restoration" quality work by any means (since I'm not stripping anything or really going gung ho on chip removal), but it still looks a lot better than before.

Todays progress...

Belt covers were already done but I hadn't posted pics... I freehand painted the overlay on the "Logan" letters. They were green when I got it so that's what they got repainted.

DSC04235_zps11ebcab8.jpg

Back and front pics of the bed/headstock with one coat on it. I had the thought that I might do the top headstock cover with automotive undercoat or PlastiDip as I tend to lay tools on it and that will have a little grip and not chip instantly.

DSC04234_zps23793152.jpg

DSC04233_zpsf42c15ae.jpg

DSC04235_zps11ebcab8.jpg

DSC04234_zps23793152.jpg

DSC04233_zpsf42c15ae.jpg

Looking good! :thumbsup:

I check back the serial number on mine, number is 82458 fabricate in 1966 but purchase in 1967 by the Transport Safety Board of Canada (Air division) I register my lathe on the Yahoo Logan group list today :)) This lathe is 6 year younger then me!

PS: the drawers got 5 metal surfaces instead of one for shelves and trust me they are "Solid state heavy duty" one. To get quality like that today you have to take a second mortgage....

Last edited:
Looking good! :thumbsup:

I check back the serial number on mine, number is 82458 fabricate in 1966 but purchase in 1967 by the Transport Safety Board of Canada (Air division) I register my lathe on the Yahoo Logan group list today :)) This lathe is 6 year younger then me!

PS: the drawers got 5 metal surfaces instead of one for shelves and trust me they are "Solid state heavy duty" one. To get quality like that today you have to take a second mortgage....

Thank you!... it will be nice enough to look good from 5' but not so good I'll be afraid to use it.

You're right, I imagine those drawers are super heavy considering how heavy duty the cabinet itself is.

Didn't get anything done today so far on it, had to fix the daily driver whose ignition switch gave up yesterday and it's ~90 degrees out here today (32 for you folk up in Canada).

Well I'm a few hundred miles from you and from were I stand she look perfect :lmao:

26c here today and I work in my garage all day moving stuff and prepare my trailer for the 2hr trip from my home to Gatineau and another 2hr back home but this time with a 1400lbs load I wish to get to destination in one piece.....I even bring a tarp I don't trust weather channel :nuts:

Back