My Logan 12x24 lathe project

Was a busy weekend with my folks coming over on Saturday but I did get the lower cabinet of the lathe cleaned, masked, and the first coat of paint on.

DSC04257_zpsd46254d4.jpg

DSC04256_zps689f6781.jpg

DSC04255_zpse4501004.jpg

So I finally got back to the lathe after a busy couple weeks. Saturday I managed to replace the bushings in the QC box despite the fact that I managed to not order a couple bushings I needed. I went hunting and found bushings the right size at the local hardware store but for the fact they were flanged. Took them over to a friends house and turned the flanges off and viola! Finished disassembling the QC levers, cleaned and painted them. Cleaned the "safety clutch", it's shaft, and associated gearing. Cleaned the shaft for the output gearing but put the gears in my cold parts cleaner to see if it will break some of the hardened grease loose so I don't spend hours picking it off by hand like I did with the other gearing. Managed to reassemble the QC levers tonight and assemble them to the shaft/QC box casting.

Pics...

Safety clutch and output shaft, compare to the pics above.

DSC04287_zpsb3f300c1.jpg

QC levers and internal bits... I had to hand file the keys in the new gears so they would fit the new shaft.

DSC04289_zps12b04385.jpg

The QC box with the levers installed...

DSC04292_zps3cf66cbc.jpg

Bill,

That thing is really coming along and really looking great! Very nice work!

Steve

That is a beautiful lathe, you really did a wonderful job with her! I just purchased a little Rockwell 11x24 last week, I have been researching disassemble and reassembly, a bit daunting I have to admit :thinking:, than the missing pieces and belts... but it is refreshing to see yours and watch your progress thru the rebuild.

Thanks for the thread and encouragement!

Rich

My "new" 2557V looks very similar to yours. Where is the serial # found? The motor in mine had been changed to a 110/220v 1-phase.

mill-2_zpsd018d3a7.jpg
mill-15_zps0fa035d6.jpg
mill-17_zps9b2762de.jpg

Most Logan serial numbers are stamped into the bed at the far tailstock end. You may have to use a power wire brush to reveal it. The number is on the shear closest to the operator (apron side) and is the the "flat" rail between the outside and the V way. There may be other locations, this is the location I found on three separate Logan lathes (two different models).
Geoff Morgan

Looking good! :thumbsup:

I check back the serial number on mine, number is 82458 fabricate in 1966 but purchase in 1967 by the Transport Safety Board of Canada (Air division) I register my lathe on the Yahoo Logan group list today :)) This lathe is 6 year younger then me!

PS: the drawers got 5 metal surfaces instead of one for shelves and trust me they are "Solid state heavy duty" one. To get quality like that today you have to take a second mortgage....

Most Logan serial numbers are stamped into the bed at the far tailstock end. You may have to use a power wire brush to reveal it. The number is on the shear closest to the operator (apron side) and is the the "flat" rail between the outside and the V way. There may be other locations, this is the location I found on three separate Logan lathes (two different models).
Geoff Morgan

110--I was ready to swear there was no serial # there but the wire brush revealed it. Thanks.

Skull--Mine is a 12"x35"; serial# 67871. How can I tell the year of manufacture?

My covers are also very plain when compared to yours--no logos or embellishments.

Edit: Found the serial # list
http://www.lathe.com/ser-no.htm

Wow! 1955!

mill-9_zps14aba78f.jpg

Last edited:
ezduzit for a 1955 your bed look in pretty good shape and having the 35" bed make her a great pick! Keep the 110/220V motor if he run well, better put the money on cutting tools, I convert mine on 230V 3 phases with a VFD since she was powered with 600V 3 phases wen I bough it. Same thing for my Milrite milling (575V)

The milling on your trailer is yours to? I like it but I can figure out what it was....Rear belt drive unit, I have seen this before, what is it?

Yeah, the mill and lathe were a package deal--2 orphans. The lathe came with a couple coffee cans full of cutting bits, mostly carbide. The mill is an Index Super 55. Company's still in business (Wells Index). There are some good photos of one about 1/2-way down this page:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/index/

Back