My Logan 12x24 lathe project

I'm planning on removing the chart and replacing the brass rivets with small screws as well on the old 2557-V which I just acquired - the chart is damaged - torn - by the movement of the QC levers, which makes me think that a prior owner messed with the formerly nice brass plate, and possibly remounted it in a too low position...

I'm not sure how that will play out as part of my restoration - which looks to be more complex that what the OP has been undertaking here...

Not a great deal of wear. For my two cents of suggestion (please feel free to ignore as you deem fit) - I like your idea of polishing the groove tracks for the levers. I removed my threading chart by gently hitting the drive brads with a flat round punch. I tapped the casting for small (#5?) screws and replaced the drive brads with small brass screws. I locktited those just for safety,\.
Geoff

Your machine is looking quite a bit less abused than mine... S/N 67026, looks like about 1954 or so... DSCF0005C.jpg

110--I was ready to swear there was no serial # there but the wire brush revealed it. Thanks.

Skull--Mine is a 12"x35"; serial# 67871. How can I tell the year of manufacture?

My covers are also very plain when compared to yours--no logos or embellishments.

Edit: Found the serial # list
http://www.lathe.com/ser-no.htm

Wow! 1955!

mill-9_zps14aba78f.jpg

DSCF0005C.jpg

Got more done over the weekend...

Finished cleaning the QC box bits and assembled it. That wasn't without issues as the new bushings I pressed into the gears ended up slightly undersize. I didn't unfortunately have the right size reamer but a friend did so I got that taken care of and the box assembled. I got the QC box assembled onto the lathe with the lead screw. While the belt covers were off (to install the QC box) I put some flat black on the inside upper edge of the covers so the gray line went away where the back cover meets the upper cover. Took the tailstock apart, cleaned up the chips, masked and got the first coat on it and the tailstock handle. The tailstock lock isn't the original, it was just a piece of bar stock welded to a bolt which looked pretty crappy (though it worked fine). I recontoured it a bit and got it painted as well. I also stripped the speed control handle, I think it must have had about 8 coats of paint on it.

Good thing this is almost finished as I bought a head for my mill project.

Pics of this weekends progress...

DSC04303_zpse85f03c9.jpg

DSC04304_zps79fbd0bb.jpg

DSC04305_zpsb59ed0c2.jpg

DSC04306_zps0b247b37.jpg

Originally Posted by ezduzit

This is what the handles looked like in 1955.

It looked that way in 1942 as well.
:tiphat:

And in 1961 when mine was built. :thumbsup:

Mine was broken at some point and one of the PO's made one on the cheap. Since it's fully functional I just cleaned it up a bit (after I checked on the price for a new one from Logan). I'll keep an eye on Ebay for an OEM one in decent condition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice rack (handles)! :thumbzup:

One huge difference, shown in the posted photos, is in the left end gear-train cover. The one on mine is 1-piece and is just a cover; the later ones use a 2-piece bolted cover. Looks like they wanted to stiffen the gear case? Was that a big improvement to correct a shortcoming in the early ones?

mill-9_zps14aba78f.jpg
mill-15_zps0fa035d6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The belt cover on mine is actually three pieces, with front, back, and end pieces. I suspect it was just easier to cast three flatter pieces than the one deep piece like yours that made them change.

- - - Updated - - -

So since the lathe is almost together... anyone have a clue how to wire up the stock Logan forward/reverse switch for a 220V 1 Phase motor? I have the factory book and the diagram in it isn't particularly clear.

Back