My Logan 820 Lathe Journey

Keeping the updates here...

RPM display

IMG_8365.jpeg

Longer power cable to the TouchDRO screen so I can place it on top of the belt cover.

IMG_8370.jpeg

Was able to find a spot where the sensor can be installed without interfering with anything... Held in place with 3M VHB double face tape for now... will pour just a bit of JB-Weld to play it safe... Gears door closes without issues.

IMG_8374.jpeg

All wiring neatly tucked away... will replace those with black nylon tie-wraps later...

IMG_8373.jpeg

Everything secured with 3M VHB double face tape... so I can raise and lower the belt cover without issues or anything falling off...

IMG_8380.jpeg
IMG_8376.jpeg

Set screw on the wrench to avoid it falling off...

IMG_8366.jpeg

Keeping the updates here...

RPM display

View attachment 423040

Longer power cable to the TouchDRO screen so I can place it on top of the belt cover.

View attachment 423038

Was able to find a spot where the sensor can be installed without interfering with anything... Held in place with 3M VHB double face tape for now... will pour just a bit of JB-Weld to play it safe... Gears door closes without issues.

View attachment 423042

All wiring neatly tucked away... will replace those with black nylon tie-wraps later...

View attachment 423043

Everything secured with 3M VHB double face tape... so I can raise and lower the belt cover without issues or anything falling off...

View attachment 423044
View attachment 423045

Set screw on the wrench to avoid it falling off...

View attachment 423039
can you tell me more about the tablet you are using and the mount it is on?

link won't open for me, i presume it is on amazon, what is the name of it and i will look it up thanks sir
Oh… yes Amazon… let me know if this helps…

31C8F5EE-C165-49CB-BC19-AA1EBC8B8A83.jpeg

And I could not find the tablet…at the time it was the most inexpensive android tablet that I could find…

I put a reversing switch on mine. I have only used it when cutting metric threads (can’t disengage the half nuts, so you reverse the motor to move the carriage back to position to start the next cut). It’s running at the slowest speed without any load. The chuck won’t unscrew from the spindle in those circumstances.

the other option would be to hand crank the spindle in reverse to move the carriage back, but reversing the motor is much more convenient

I put a reversing switch on mine. I have only used it when cutting metric threads (can’t disengage the half nuts, so you reverse the motor to move the carriage back to position to start the next cut). It’s running at the slowest speed without any load. The chuck won’t unscrew from the spindle in those circumstances.

the other option would be to hand crank the spindle in reverse to move the carriage back, but reversing the motor is much more convenient
I think that this alone will make me want it working in both directions... Thank you. I will need to figure out how to wire it correctly.

which scales did you end up using?
Sorry for the delayed response...

I had these since 2015 when I bought them to do the install on the G0704 milling machine... So there might be better alternatives today. Best to check Yuriy's website for updated recommendations.

I never did install them on that mill since I went with a CNC conversion (that I have not finished).... So just used what I had... Used the 24" without modifications... that was enough to cover the travel... But the 12" I had to cut to size...

iGaging 12" Magnetic Remote Digital Readout - cut to 11-1/2" - the bar actually measures 16"...
iGaging 24" Magnetic Remote Digital Readout - used as is without modifications... the bar actually measures 28-1/2"
iGaging 24" Magnetic Remote Digital Readout - still have it for whatever other project comes along

Back