My Logan 820 Lathe Journey

Sorry for the delayed response...

I had these since 2015 when I bought them to do the install on the G0704 milling machine... So there might be better alternatives today. Best to check Yuriy's website for updated recommendations.

I never did install them on that mill since I went with a CNC conversion (that I have not finished).... So just used what I had... Used the 24" without modifications... that was enough to cover the travel... But the 12" I had to cut to size...

iGaging 12" Magnetic Remote Digital Readout - cut to 11-1/2" - the bar actually measures 16"...
iGaging 24" Magnetic Remote Digital Readout - used as is without modifications... the bar actually measures 28-1/2"
iGaging 24" Magnetic Remote Digital Readout - still have it for whatever other project comes along
yeah, he says they will work, but he gets more complaints from ppl that are using that style, then the glass or magnetic

yeah, he says they will work, but he gets more complaints from ppl that are using that style, then the glass or magnetic

I did not wanted these to go to waste... plus I had everything working with them since back in 2015 I also built the arduino controller...

You have the advantage of 7 years of development and more options :)

New bolts on the 6-jaw chucks...

IMG_8395.jpeg

And just for fun, a video testing the tachometer/RPM display...

Was missing dogs... found this on eBay... My lathe came with a faceplate, so now I have two... oh well...

Dogs.jpeg

FWIW read recently on I think it was the Home Model Engine Machinist based in England, a face plate can be treated as a consumable. Meaning don't worry about drilling it etc. as necessary to hold odd shaped parts. Makes sense for a place where mills once weren't common and everything was done on the lathe. So having two might be a good thing :)

True story...

View attachment 413973

I guess, once this one is done... I should consider selling the HF 9"x20"... The Delta wood lathe, I should sell it as well if I do not develop a thing for working with wood... but it just looks like art...
If I threatened to sell the wood lathe my wife would do me bodily harm.... LOL

:) Suspecting how much use the "wood working lathe" would get used, I bought her a ShopSmith so at least I could use the sanding disc.

Yep, I'd vote the same! For me it was a easy way to keep peace in the family regardless if it became a movable storage surface :)

One pending project with this lathe is replacing the cross-feed screw and nut... too much backslash in parts of the travel. Meaning, the one in there has a lot of wear...

LA-153 Cross Feed Screw (Item# LP-1099) or this one (Item# LP-1108)... I need to call/email Scott Logan and confirm.
LA-173-1 Cross Feed Nut (Item# LP-1095)

Saddle Assembly-1.jpg

I will need to wait until next year to place the order :p. But let me go ahead and send the email to confirm part numbers.

Last edited:
Back