My Logan 820 Lathe Journey

Out of curiosity, do you find yourself using this lathe for particular types of projects? I know you have a newer larger lathe (PM?), so does this lathe get used for something that it does better than your larger lathe? Or is it just that the ideal number of lathes == (number of current lathes + 1) :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity, do you find yourself using this lathe for particular types of projects? I know you have a newer larger lathe (PM?), so does this lathe get used for something that it does better than your larger lathe? Or is it just that the ideal number of lathes == (number of current lathes + 1) :)

The larger lathe is a pleasure to use... and the one I tend to use the most because of that...

This Logan is just a beautiful piece of mechanical art... It currently sits at the other house (in Orlando)... Since we are spending more and more time in Ocala, I seldom use it now. That will change once I move everything over to Ocala when the workshop build is finished (hopefully in the next two months).

So to answer your question... it was never about having so many lathes. It was just how things happened... Had I purchased the big lathe first, I doubt I would have purchased anything else. But I ran into the 9x20 first (and it was only US$500.00), then found the big lathe close to the house in Ocala... I should have stopped there, but being part of this forum is not good for staying put... I always wanted a vintage looking lathe. This Logan showed up on Facebook Marketplace for US$800.00 and I just could not resist...

Ideally, I could sell the 9x20... but it is hard for me to let it go since it was the first lathe I got... I should sell it... still might... if only because of space. But the Logan is not going anywhere... I am keeping it until I leave this earth. I kid you not, I just love looking at it... I know is weird...

The larger lathe is a pleasure to use... and the one I tend to use the most because of that...

This Logan is just a beautiful piece of mechanical art... It currently sits at the other house (in Orlando)... Since we are spending more and more time in Ocala, I seldom use it now. That will change once I move everything over to Ocala when the workshop build is finished (hopefully in the next two months).

So to answer your question... it was never about having so many lathes. It was just how things happened... Had I purchased the big lathe first, I doubt I would have purchased anything else. But I ran into the 9x20 first (and it was only US$500.00), then found the big lathe close to the house in Ocala... I should have stopped there, but being part of this forum is not good for staying put... I always wanted a vintage looking lathe. This Logan showed up on Facebook Marketplace for US$800.00 and I just could not resist...

Ideally, I could sell the 9x20... but it is hard for me to let it go since it was the first lathe I got... I should sell it... still might... if only because of space. But the Logan is not going anywhere... I am keeping it until I leave this earth. I kid you not, I just love looking at it... I know is weird...

I totally get that. I love the look of the older machinery. If I didn’t have space constraints, I’d keep my Smart and Brown even though I’ve replaced it with a more modern machine. I’d stick it in a corner and just look at it :)

I am keeping it until I leave this earth. I kid you not, I just love looking at it... I know is weird...

I think this is something that separates hobbyists from pros, well besides getting paid to do it, the training, skill level... but I digress. :)

For a lot of us hobby guys, how we do something can easily be just to do it that way for the experience, while somebody "on the clock" is going to look for the most efficient way because time is money.

There are a lot of obsolete machines doing hobby work, sometimes just because they can be cheap but I think a lot are there because they work well enough and they have character.

Parts ordered. I keep getting confused when ordering parts... The 820 is a 10" lathe... Not sure why I keep thinking is 11" when ordering stuff... Anyway, these parts ordered:

Compound Rest: Crossfeed Nut LP-1095
Compound Rest: Crossfeed Screw LP-1099

And here is the reason I needed these parts. Uneven backslash only means that the crossfeed screw has excessive wear in one section of the screw... and might as well change the crossfeed nut at the same time.

View attachment IMG_3944.mov

Last edited:
It is going to feel/work, so much better now!

Crossfeed Screw Logan 820.jpeg

Dentist appointment in Orlando this morning so I finished the day from the house in Orlando... almost empty, just waiting for the workshop to be done so that I can empty the garage.

So I started to work on replacing the cross-feed screw and nut.

sd50q.jpeg

Interesting that the old nut is brass... new one is made out of cast iron.

Crossfeed nut new vs old.jpeg
Saddle Assembly-1.jpg

But turns out that I am missing the two felt washers (LA-570) - new part number LP-1367. So I have to see if I have something to make these two or just order from Scott... Not able to finish putting all back together like I wanted.

Took me a moment to figure out how the cross feed screw came out.

Gear.jpeg

Just some light tapping and the cross-feed screw slides out of the gear. And someone was in here before as that is not felt material. Also only one... supposed to have two.

Saddle gear old.jpeg

Happy that I was able to remove the cross feed screw and nut... Went ahead and tested sliding all in place just to test. But nothing secured, this was just for the photo to share.

Saddle with new crossfeed screw.jpeg
Now to wait for the felt washers to arrive
IMG_4261.jpeg

Last edited:
Because of how/where I found that squared foam-like thingy in there, I asked Logan for where the felt washers needed to be... I thought that it was one on each side of the gear... does not look like that is the case. Here is the respond that I got:

"The felts go behind the gear. In fact, it's the only place they CAN go, since the near side of the gear is directly up against the crossfeed bushing.
Keep the felts well oiled; it will leach out onto the screw. They also help (a little) in keeping swarf away from the gear."

And further asked to make sure I was clear on the comment... Logan Lathe thank you for the prompt response. Just to further clarify, both washers go on the same side? And can you confirm what is the rear of the gear? A or B?

Gear-1.jpg

"Logan Lathe - in the "B" position, or on the Acme threaded side. Between the gear and the crossfeed nut."

I ordered both the gear and felt washers... once those arrive, I will put it all back together.

2 - Felt washers (LA-570) - new part number LP-1367
1 - Crossfeed Gear, 16T (LA-190) - new part number LP-1115

Only thing that is holding me back from calling it all done, is the correct wiring of the switch, so I have forward and reverse. When I am ready for that, I will ask for guidance.

Last edited:
Felts and gear arrived...

Felts and gear.jpeg
That looks much better than the contraption that was in there before... talking about the piece of square foam someone in the past put in there.

I will finish installing it all back next time I am at the house in Orlando.

Back