New (to me) Logan 200

:lmao:

There are so many things I have gotten "extra practice" on. The apron is one just completed, and now the saddle is taking it's place!

:headscratch:

Putting a machine like this back together is just a series of re-learning experiences.

Still moving slowly along...
During the last big snowstorm I noticed that my smooth running compound was actually sitting on the wrong size base. The base from the donor carriage appeared to have the dovetail cut about an 1/8 inch wider than the base from the model 200.
It wasn't really rusty, but other folks had good luck with electrolysis for paint removal, so I decided to use up the last of my scrap metal and give it a try.

Here's the setup:
ElectolysisSetup.jpg

I started out with way too much washing soda, and almost burned up my power supply. After some serious dilution, it was running about 6-8 amps pretty steady, looking like it was almost boiling. About 4 hours later, the current dropped off to only an amp or so and I pulled it out.

Here's the result:
AfterElectolysis.jpg
The tank did pretty decent for paint removal. I still have to hit it with a wire brush and re-paint it.
Hopefully, the warmer weather will hold out and I can clear out a spot for painting in the winter warehouse (garage).

Hey, TomKro.

That part looks real good. I've been using a blast cabinet to remove paint and rust. However, I have to be careful to avoid hitting areas with the abrasive where I don't want metal removed. This looks like a good alternative. I will say that the blast cabinet is faster though.

I'd love to have a blast cabinet, they're a great time saver. Nice finish too. Back when I worked in an industrial area, I think the grit blast machines did more home jobs than paying work.
I have a good size compressor in the garage, but the tank still needs a pressure test and a new check valve. Then a 240V line... Might be a while.

I actually find my blast cabinet too slow. I predominantly used chemical stripper, and then a 4 inch angle grinder with a twisted wire flat brush. i switch to a cup or flare brush for the tate spot carla either on my grinder or cordless drill periodi switch to a cup or flare brush for the tate spot carla either on my grinder or cordless drill. These rip everything to bare in very short order, including your skin if you make a mistake. Makes real short work of any paint or grime that is on the surface. Leaves a nice finish on the cast, and doesn't hurt the machine surfaces at all either. Works for me.

Well, it's been a while. Work and life in general got crazy busy and I'm just glad I'm past it.

I have the 3 phase motor and all the VFD parts, but when I found a brand new 3/4 HP single phase 120V motor for cheap, I went back to the drum switch. Disassembling, cleaning, and re-wiring the drum switch was tedious, but it works as it should.

It was driving me crazy that I had a cracked/repaired bracket for the drive belt engagement. I found a good one on e-bay, and it's painted and installed with a new serpentine belt.

Still a few bugs to work out - a little binding in the change gears, still to pad up and align the tailstock, and get a decent light and some paint for my light mount bar.

The Logan made some chips last Saturday night, so I felt it was good enough to put the nameplate back on.

The Running Logan 26Nov16.jpg

Now that life is somewhat back to normal, it's time to get working on all the other toys. The Rockwell bandsaw pile-o-parts needs assembly, the Sheldon horizontal mill needs belts and cross feed nut repairs, and there's a Emco Compact 10 with a milling head that needs a table to sit on. I'll have to start a thread on the Emco- it's a nice one.

In other moments of weakness, I made a few other purchases. There's a South Bend 13 inch lathe parked in my garage - not my best move. Then there's the Van Norman No. 12. The base is still on the trailer. Both are 3 phase and I don't even have 220 single phase in the garage yet.

The VN was close and a super good price, but quite possibly the straw that broke the camels back. My wife is now insisting on a kitchen rehab.

What can I say? I really like cast iron.

TomKro

Good to hear from you Tom!! Glad to see your Logan is making chips.

It's been quiet around here, I think life, work and other projects have gotten in the way for a bunch of us that used to post here. In fact I was in the shop the other day turning some bearing inserts (out of babbitt) for an old farm windmill and I was looking at that 3" lathe dial that I started but never finished. As I was squinting to read the numbers on the Logan I kept asking myself why I never finished the new dial. LOL.

I just realized that you were in Aberdeen, too bad I did not realize that earlier this summer ... we were out that way for my nephew's wedding.

Hey TomKro.

I decided to stop by and check to see if there were any new posts in the Logan forum today and was happy to see you have made some chips with your 200. Way to go!

Most of us get caught up in "life is what happens when you're busy making other plans" occasionally.

Keep us posted on how your machine tuning goes.

Looks like you made a very nice job of bringing your lathe back to life. I always admire people who take the
time to paint their lathes!

Back