New (to me) Logan 200

Great, Tom;

Glad you got it out clean. Those little things are where the skill & creativity comes in, and you showed well! Minor victories that bring a quiet smile to your face.

Here's what I currently look at for inspiration. The bed is being cleaned of the final remnants of old paint presently;

LoganRebuild1.jpg

Redlineman:

Your legs and pan really are an inspiration. The paint came out real nice.
I'm trying to get something assembled just so I can stop misplacing parts.

Here's a pic of that pin removal setup. I left the door in the pic, just to prove that I really didn't break off the ears.
The pin appears to be a nominal 3/8 inch, but undersized a little more that a thousandth. Looks like I'll be sanding something to replace it.

CoverPin small crop.jpg

I think tomorrow is supposed to be a decent day, so maybe I can work outside and get that door cleaned up.

TomKro

CoverPin small crop.jpg

Still don't have too much put back together, but I thought I'd share some ideas on the base.

Here's a pic of the base with some 2 x 4 rectangular tubes placed to lift it up a bit. I thought the 2 x 3 angle iron would be good for mounting electric parts, an air line, and maybe a few drawers.

2 Inch Base Jack small.jpg

My pan needs a lot of repairs, so I thought I'd try smaller baking sheets in lieu of the one piece pan. The heaviest aluminum pans I could find are still a little thin, so I think they'll need something under them to stiffen them up.

Baking Pan Ideas small.jpg

No time to play for a while, but at least some of the drive box castings are soaking in pine sol, so I guess I can say work is still progressing.

TomKro

2 Inch Base Jack small.jpg Baking Pan Ideas small.jpg

Gents:
Did we ever get this project filed under "FINISHED"?

I got my 820 in 1981. It has served me well and still is very accurate and tight by doing a little maintenance and adjustment from time to time.

Chuck removal:
Kinda surprised I did not see this mentioned. Shown to me by a REAL machinist. First, lock the chuck by shifting into back gear. Second, back the chuck jaws out so they are protruding about 3/4" to 1" from the outside of the chuck. Third, place a brass or preferably rawhide hammer on a protruding jaw. Fourth, wack the rawhide hammer smartly with a 30oz ball peen hammer. Pops right loose. Haven't hurt a thing in 30+ years. As Frankie Sinatra says "This is my way!"

Sorry to be so late. Great thread.

As an after thought. I have done a lot of work in reverse as conditions warranted, and have never had the chuck come loose. I realize it is theoretically possible but the great fear does not live in my shop. I still have that Pacific coast property in Wyoming for sale. CHEAP! All remarks will be forwarded to the real estate sales office. Thank you.

Sadly, not finished yet.

I've been trying to get a little painting done here and there, but every time I paint in the basement (even just a little) I get nasty sick, even when using an exhaust fan. Most solvents just don't agree with me. They used to call me "the canary" at work, because if something didn't bother me, they knew it wouldn't hurt anyone else.

The good news is that most of the painting is done, my wife picked me up a quick change tool post for Christmas, and the Teco VFD with remote keypad just arrived yesterday. Been trying to figure out what sort of box I want to put it in. I still have to paint the gear cover, the drive box lid, and a few carriage parts.

The really good news is that I picked up a small Sheldon horizontal mill. It's sitting in the driveway. Hopefully in the basement soon.

Geeez;

The first thing you should pick up is a good paint respirator so you can get that thing DONE. They will do the trick for you. I know, from long experience.

Redlineman:

I really have to wait for warmer temps. Grammy is home all day and I get complaints if I do anything but touchup painting.

If grandma ain't happy, momma ain't happy, and you know the rest.

Did I mention I still need to buy a decent chuck? Someone else with a Logan appears to be buying them all up.

Ha;

I think I'm done with chucks. You can have the rest...

Still would like a medallion style Westcott. Made just up the road a piece. Maybe a Watson too. Had to send one back. Real clean, but defective.

Curious how your baking pan chip tray worked out. Plaza Machinery has several chip trays listed for $35. Not sure what shipping would be on that though.

Jererp:

I was away over the weekend visiting my daughter at school. Nothing like a little 1000 mile ride. Just managed to beat all the snow coming back from West Virginia last night.

I actually have the original pan, but it needs some welding and filling because it has a couple drill holes and a patch of rust/pitting.

Here’s a pic of the replacement pans.
Pan Setup 3Mar14.jpg

I used some PVC sheet and binding posts to stiffen up the aluminum pans. I painted the aluminum, but the color of the PVC was close enough for me. Also, I left the two “non-stick” steel pans the way they were. Once they get scratched up, I’ll have to coat them with something.
Pan with PVC backer.jpg

Magnetic Strips.jpg

The black strips on the angle iron are adhesive backed magnets used to hold the steel pans in place. The strips hold onto the pan surprisingly well, and they still pop loose pretty easily. I guess time will tell if that works OK or not.

Pan Setup 3Mar14.jpg Magnetic Strips.jpg Pan with PVC backer.jpg

Back