Oscillating tool

10 years ago, I thought they were just around 2-3 years.
Yeah, I’d never really seen one and it looked like a cheezy gadget, until I used it. Somehow Dad had seen one. Like what other power tool can make a perfectly square 1” hole in wood or drywall? Had to get some exterior sheeting off that some construction bozo on crank had decided to empty his stapler into. Peeled it off easy peezy like nothing else would. That was the first tool that ever exceeded my first impression.

I bought a Fein oscillating tool not long after I started in business. My 19th year is this May. We still have the same one. It is a fixture in one job box for install work. Great tool for cutting electrical boxes into cabinets, or any square hole. Couldn't be without one. The blades are expensive, especially the carbide ones. They last a long time though.
Martin

I picked up a Fein probably about six years ago. At the time, the copies all had pretty poor reviews. It's been a while since I last used it, but it's been a lifesaver when I have. Well worth having.

GsT
I don't know about bad reviews. I tried the Fein at Woodcraft, and the noise and vibration were the same as many others. Many reviews say much less, but I think it's more about perceived name brand, vs reality. Yes maybe a little, but not as much as claimed. It all depends on the unit and build quality.

I bought a new, in the box Rockwell for $50 at a hamfest. At the time, they were going for over $100 at retail. It sat for several years until we did a remodel of our first floor. The first use was the semicircular blade. I had to cut the tag ends off two 2x8's in order to install some new duct work. They were in an impossible location for any other tool except the Rockwell.

Our house is over 100 years old and the walls had been replastered at some time in the past and it wasn't possible to remove the trim on the doors and windows without destroying the plaster. so we stripped and sanded the trim in situ. We went through maybe 100 sanding pads for the Rockwell. We also installed a floating wood floor and the Rockwell worked great for cutting the clearance at the bottom of the door jambs and trim..

HF model here also . No issues with it other than than finding it when needed . Worked great for cutting off the bottom of door frames .

Anyone tried the Makita cordless? I have a corded Bosch that works that does the job but I don’t really like the cord and blade clamp.

So I’m looking for encouragement to buy a tool I don’t really need.

Back