Oscillating tool

Anyone tried the Makita cordless? I have a corded Bosch that works that does the job but I don’t really like the cord and blade clamp.

So I’m looking for encouragement to buy a tool I don’t really need.
Until you do, For the money even if it sat in the draw its worth it until that light bulb goes off. That's what happened to me. I have a electric windshield scissor that has seen its better days when I thought why not try one of those oscillating tools, and now I'm sold. Thanks

Once again HF shines in the cheap enough for us part timers. Dads was like $20 w/ coupon. How could that even be functional? My first big task when I borrowed it was to scarf a space under our goofy 70’s rounded brick hearth to put vinyl plank flooring under it. Ate a couple of blades but did it. That’s when I bought my own. Yeah I don’t use it everyday but when I do it gets er done.

I don't know about bad reviews. I tried the Fein at Woodcraft, and the noise and vibration were the same as many others. Many reviews say much less, but I think it's more about perceived name brand, vs reality. Yes maybe a little, but not as much as claimed. It all depends on the unit and build quality.
I was specifically comparing it to the Milwaukee brand (because I'm pretty invested in Milwaukee, and they've always been good tools for me) but there were a number of reports about them ceasing to function. I don't recall vibration being an issue in any of the reviews. The 'soft start' on the Fein is nice, but that's the only difference I've noticed actually handling a few other brands.

GsT

Great tool for those crazy cuts Anything where you are going "how the #$%& am I going yo cut that???"

They make a carbide blade for them that eats steel! Drexel brand IIRC
I've cut out some fins in a BIG heatsink when I realized I had messed up the air path after finishing... worked great!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

As usual I’m going to divert a little but this is a weird but useful tool tangent. I’ve had a couple of blowouts with my neck after 50+yrs of working with my hands and always looking down. I wondered if anybody made glasses or goggles that had a mirror or something so I didn’t have crane my neck to look down. Like right now laying brick patios. I go back and tweak/straighten bricks before I do the sweep in mortar and after a couple of 5-6hrs stints my neck was killing me, again. So I took a run at a search again and lo and behold Lazy Readers came up! These are what I’ve been needing for 20yrs. There are several versions but these were the lightest and had the best nose bridge. Best of all $15! They are not the ones made to go over reader glasses but they go over my cheapo readers, he shoots he scores. NFI yadda yadda.

Another alternative would be to transition from patio work to lighting.

My optometrist once told me he makes special bifocals for a patient who owns a muffler shop. He puts the cheater lens at the top.

Another alternative would be to transition from patio work to lighting.
I don’t always have a choice of project. This is one of those rare times honeydoo and wanna do collide. Laying easily over 1,000 bricks is not my idea of a fun project and this is why we hired help. The tweaking is not much fun but of course that presents opportunities to make tools. I took the handle off a golf handcart and put a piece of 1/2” UHMW with a taper to insert between the bricks to get 1/2” spacing. Along with a modded grabber so I don’t have squat to move or align the bricks.

I believe these glasses might go in the same drawer as the oscillating tool. Very specific applications that solve a particular problem.

Don't recall how many years ago when the patent ran out and others started making them. I was in a local store that had a display with a Dremel brand next to it . After playing with it making cuts I bought one. Over time I noticed it got warm on long uses and the vibration was annoying. After a couple years I bought a Fein. Much less vibration and never gets warm. I was going to sell the Dremel until I had a couple tight plumbing spots that the Fein wouldn't fit in. All these years later and still have both. Don't use them much anymore but they are paid for so they will stay.

Back