The Eifel Plierench...what most people have been missing!

@Lbrewer42 - I think eBay sellers owe you (collectively) a few hundred bucks. When this thread started a Plierench would go for about $25USD. Now, it seems, little goes for less than $40. I know this only because you've made me a plierench junkie and I "need" a complete set. What a great tool! I do think, however, that you've missed one reason for these not being a huge commercial success - they have a large head.

I used to collect oddball wrenches and this seems to be their downfall (particularly with modern, high-density, mechanics. A large head just makes it impossible to reach into tight places or turn even a 1/6 of a turn. I don't expect these to be universally useful working on my truck, but for general shop use they have proven themselves a dozen times in the short time I've had them, so now I need them all!

I'm not sure whether to thank you for enlightening me, or condemn you for costing me money... ;-)

GsT

Shortly after posting, it occurred to me that my impaired idea of wit might be lost in translation. What I meant to say was "Thank you for drawing my attention to this incredibly useful tool."

GsT

Shortly after posting, it occurred to me that my impaired idea of wit might be lost in translation. What I meant to say was "Thank you for drawing my attention to this incredibly useful tool."

GsT
I certainly got your wit. I too purchased one, but only one because the rest of the goofballs on here drove up the prices. :wink:

I'm not sure whether to thank you for enlightening me, or condemn you for costing me money... ;-)

:laughing:Admittedly I am very glad this tool is finally getting a little recognition nowadays. I had this type of thread on my to do list for quite some time and finally decided the one day to get it done. To me the plierench is one of those lost-knowledge secrets "miracles" tha6 save peoplea lot of time when they discover it.

As to the large head, get one of the smaller versions. While still large, They are a little bit handier to use for many jobs.

Another tool I use instead of box wrenches or end wrenches (where the plierench won't fit!) is a version of what I have seen called the master wrench. Again, there is a small learning curve of knowing to open the jaw before putting it onto the nut. I think this is why they also are pretty much unknown and or not used.

I have seen they made them in Europe and of course China. The Harbor-Frieght-pre-cursor roaming tent tool sales used to sell their own versions. I have not used my Craftsman sets of end wrenches for years b/c I have (a couple of ) each of the 3 sizes of these Master Wrenches (or equivalent). So where the plierench won't go, the Master Wrenches do. And the thing abut the Master Wrench type tools is either the nut WILL move or the wrench breaks. Like the plierench, a rounded nut means nothing.

Attachments

• s-l1600 copy.jpg
    s-l1600 copy.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 20
IMG_1169.jpg
My dad was a machinist. He started out in the 1930's making auto parts for the mechanic he partnered with at a gas station/ garage. By the 40's he was working for the Frisco railroad, then the Union Pacific. He had a one. About 40 years ago I lost some of his tools in a fire. The Plierench was one of them. I had been on the look-out for another one ever since. Lately I found a smaller one at an antique shop and got the full sized one on eBay. The seller also had a linemans pliers which I also had been looking to replace. I joined this site today because I saw you all were talking about them too.

i found a users manual on line by doing a google search for: Eifel plierrench user manual. Click on The Eifel Geared Plierench Kit: Manual of mechanics M-7. When that opens scroll down to download options, then select PDF or PDF with text. I discovered a much faster and easier way to set the jaws than I was originally taught,

Well, wanted to see what all the hubub was about, so bought this:

s-l1600.jpg

w.jpg

ww.jpg

7" kit. has the standard and the "wire" jaws. Missing the pipe wrench jaws, but that's not a big deal. The original canvas pouch was just a nice bonus.

Paid too much for it probably. Shipping kicked it up to a few bucks over 100 CAD. But, shipping is just a modern evil these days.
I "paid up" for it becuase of the condition. Most I've seen are rusty, pock marked, dirty or beat up pretty good. It is a tool after all....;)

Build date is March, 1947 as stamped on the gear head (47-3).

I guess I'll see if it lives up the "hype"....

Last edited:
Back