The Eifel Plierench...what most people have been missing!

Mine came today. I was rather surprised that the jaws did not line up perfectly. The wrench does not seem to be bent, but there is also a little more slop than I expected.
As a side note, my wrench has a very distinctive blue hue to it, very similar to what was/is on my old Remington 870 shotgun. I am thinking that the originals were possibly blued from the factory.
View attachment 425247View attachment 425248View attachment 425249View attachment 425250View attachment 425251

That bottom jaw looks twisted to me. Maybe just a trick of the camera but it doesn't just look offset, it also appears to lean towards the right.

@7milesup
That does look a bit bent, mine line up fine. Can you make it grip OK?

As to the bluing, I have not encountered that on any of mine yet. I have to wonder if it is not a mod someone did themselves to help prevent rusting?

Maybe take the jaw out of the unit and see if the jaw is bent.

So, I just join and find out I am missing a tool in my life.

I do have a question though, is this more of a Northern region type tool? Cause I have never seen the like down here (South) - granted it looks to be limited in most people's experience once I started browsing online.

@ten41

If I may speak for "the North".... before this thread I never knew the tool existed.

I have been thru the "pliers bin" at the local tool place every time I've been there since, just hoping.....

Welcome to the group!

Brian

I have lived in the North all my life and never saw one before scoutcrafter (youtube channel) got me into restoring old tools (not collectable and valuable stuff - stuff to use!).

Again I think the popularity was hindered by two things. For their day they were a bit expensive, and the small learning curve you have to go through to realize they are not meant to be a pair of grab and squeeze to hold pliers. I know a couple of my friends have picked me up and after a couple seconds put them down and said things like, "these dumb things don't work!" Then I go through showing them how to use them and how the tool works for you. My friends have all gone onto ebay and gotten a pair.

Let's face it, when someone has to get a job done, they don't want to have to think about how the tool works. So if someone would grab a pair of these expecting a normal pair of pliers, they are going to be disappointed and get frustrated quickly. I fI let my friends who tried mine go without telling them the secret, they would have thought they were junk.

But once someone has seen the simplistic way to use them, it is automatic when you pick them up.

So, I just join and find out I am missing a tool in my life.

I do have a question though, is this more of a Northern region type tool? Cause I have never seen the like down here (South) - granted it looks to be limited in most people's experience once I started browsing online.

I think just old, and kind of strange. The patent is from 1916 so they are quite a bit earlier than Channel Locks or Vise grips, but not as intuitive to use. I'm sure many get overlooked as just heavy and awkward, antique pliers.

If my Dad wasn't a big fan of these tools I wouldn't have known anything about them.

Mine just arrived... Great condition. Will drop it in with some Evapo-rust to get rid of the little bit or rust is some areas... oil it and call it a day. Not bad for the 35.00 that I paid for it with shipping.

IMG_9004.jpeg

Did not have to bother with Evapo-rust... some steel-wool, a wire brush, and WD-40 and it cleaned up well... will do the extra jaws later...

IMG_9005.jpeg
IMG_9006.jpeg

Back