Vevor 8x14 tailstock headache

NervesofSteel

Registered
Registered
Hello, I just bought a Vevor 8x14 lathe. I am expecting it to need a lot of tuning. I didn't quite expect this though: they didn't mill the tailstock groove deeply enough to allow it to sit squarely on the ways. I don't know squat about machining or lathes, so if I am misunderstanding things I'd appreciate clarification.
I mistakenly posted on another forum (not hobby-oriented) which was perhaps most helpful by pointing me back here... they were not terribly patient with my crappy little lathe.
Anyway, I think I can mill that v-channel to better fit the bed. Is there normally any kind of adjustability on this detail, or is it simply supposed to be milled perfectly? I'm considering creating a new, separate v-channel bolted to the side of the tail stock, just leave that one there, increase bed contact and add alignment adjustability. Any thoughts? It seems to me that one typically (only?) uses the tailstock clamped down, so the groove is about alignment not machine rigidity: am I wrong on this point?
Thanks! Please don't assume I know what I'm talking about...
PXL_20230330_044928956.jpg

Can you show the whole picture? With the whole tail stock? At first glance, it seems to be the wrong tail stock for this lathe. It doesn't look wide enough. It's like they picked up a mini lathe tail stock and threw it in the box.

I think it’s on backwards. The v that the tailstock tracks on is on the opposite side and is smaller and that size.

I think it’s on backwards. The v that the tailstock tracks on is on the opposite side and is smaller and that size.
I don't see a second vee in the picture. Can you point it out to me? My lathe has a second vee, but it appears this one doesn't, or I am missing it.

I don't think so. There is only one V on that bedways.
It does look like either they didn't machine it all the way, or it's for a different size lathe.
If you move the tailstock to the headstock, do they almost line up in height?

If not, then it's not for that lathe, if they are close, they didn't finish machining. In either case, contact the seller, or vevor.

I don't think so. There is only one V on that bedways.
It does look like either they didn't machine it all the way, or it's for a different size lathe.
If you move the tailstock to the headstock, do they almost line up in height?

If not, then it's not for that lathe, if they are close, they didn't finish machining. In either case, contact the seller, or vevor.
I agree, I only see one V. Really doesn't look like it belongs to the lathe - but that is why I was asking for a picture seeing more of everything. The big picture can often solve many mysteries...

Wrong tailstock . ;)

Check out the vee in the tailstock versus the way .

Back