Vevor 8x14 tailstock headache

I have to agree with John on this one.
Unless that machine was $500 (and I doubt it was) I'd be crating it up and sending it back. It would take a serious amount of high precision work to make it right.

I have to agree with John on this one.
Unless that machine was $500 (and I doubt it was) I'd be crating it up and sending it back. It would take a serious amount of high precision work to make it right.
Even if it was $50 it's probably not worth messing with. We're not going to critize you, or your purchase decision here, but we'll definitely critize a machine that's clearly not manufactured right.

John

Even if it was $50 it's probably not worth messing with. We're not going to critize you, or your purchase decision here, but we'll definitely critize a machine that's clearly not manufactured right.

John
100%

haha, "kits". It's all good.
I think the tailstock is only ever used locked down, isn't that true? So this is just about keeping it in place while moving it around for setup... while maintaining alignment. I mean, what could go wrong? haha
what's curious to me is that they clearly did this purposefully, which sort of makes sense: that is, the cross-slide is used in motion, so it needs unambiguous positioning. The bed plus vee is sort of over-defined: it's much easier to keep a line and a surface aligned (vee plus single bearing surface on the distant way) than adding the second way bearing surface next to the vee, mechanically.
I am so unfamiliar with the gory details of lathes, I want to go study a few up-close. I need to find some machines nearby that people don't mind me crawling all over. Probably not too likely.
Anyway, I am happy with what I learned today, and I think my solution is a decent one once I clean it up. We'll see.
I don't think there's a different tailstock for this lathe, although that's not the same as saying there shouldn't be. I think they're using what they've got to throw these things together. With my solution there's almost as much contact with the ways as possible, in lock-down. I've definitely got the same tailstock as in the Amazon photo of the lathe. In fact, most videos I see online of cheap mini-lathes have something very similar, including the vee + single-way detail.
Now I just have to swap in the new headstock bearings, add a lock to the cross-slide, add power feed to the cross-slide, swap in a bigger motor, and add CNC the whole thing. Piece of cake.

Can anyone give me pics of tailstock bearing surfaces on their own mini-lathes? Particularly, sub-$1000? I see the same detail on machines costing $1200. Also, I don't really mind people criticizing the lathe, especially if you mix a little good advice in now and then.
keith

The 8x16 version of that lathe has two V ways. Easy for me to say, since it costs more, but I'd trade your 14 for a 16. That setup as shown is heavily compromised.

Contact the source and request the return of their cost.

It is the wrong parts. Both head and tailstock are not for that bed.

They will likely offer discount, REFUSE THAT!

They likely will finally settle for refund sand you keep.

Then you play with it.

Credit cards can reverse charges, so remind vendors of that if needed

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

The 8x16 version of that lathe has two V ways. Easy for me to say, since it costs more, but I'd trade your 14 for a 16. That setup as shown is heavily compromised.
haha, yes nearly 2x as much, right?
Almost every mini-lathe I see online has very similar bearing for the headstock and cross-slide: the big difference being that they didn't properly cast/grind the distal-way bearing surface on the tailstock. I mean, the rest of the machine is not quite a Bridgeport either...
I really want to look closely at more machines, b/c I realize that in a lot of ways (haha) the linear-bearing plus 1 bearing surface makes more sense than linear bearing + 2 surfaces, which adds a dimension of alignment problems. I want to see how real machines handle that problem, my guess is they have a lot more adjustability...
Keith

This is a LMS 5100, which is Little Machine Shop's slightly nicer version of a Sieg SC2.
1680285535307.png

I have an LMS 7350, let me see if I can get a good photo of the tail stock from the end view. My mini lathe and the 5100 are just versions of the SC2. I also have a Grizzly G0752Z/G0602 which uses a different tail stock. I will get you a picture of that as well. Be back soon.

My tail stock is not quite on center line vertically. For the SC2, there is no vertical adjustment. To make the tail stock higher, you can shim it. Usually the tail stock is slightly high. If too high, one needs to machine the tail stock.

To make the horizontal adjustment easier, I designed a differential screw so I could align it precisely. My differential screw allows both a coarse and fine adjustment. I single pointed the threads on my LMS7350 and have a thread on the differential screw adjuster in the Projects Sub Forum. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/mini-lathe-tailstock-adjuster-with-differential-screw.92687/ I found the stock horizontal adjustment screw was too coarse for my liking. Even the LMS7350 is a kit, although most of it is ok. All these machines need some adjustment and fiddling to get them to work ok.

Back