Wellllll I Guess I Am Going To Cnc My Enco 45 But Slowly

Thanks for the compliment on my cabinet. The pictures don't show it but there are a "lot" of extra holes in the mounting plate. Took me several iterations to get the layout where I wanted it.

Wouldn't be where I'm at without help from this forum. Steve, Jim, Jay and many others have helped get me to where I'm at with my conversion. Many thanks to them.

Tom S
I agree with that statement 100% I would not have attempted to do this on my own without all the help provided by such patient teachers:beer:
I finally got a XP desktop put together and running now all I have to do is copy the settings file from my laptop to the mach 3 on the desktop and hope I did it right, if i did it right then time to move on to making chips to mount stepper motors YESSSSSSSSS.
Bill

Here you go Steve pics of trial wiring.
I am not so sure about that wire to pin 17.
I had the system powered down with the DB25 hooked up to PC and BOB and with no external power the LED lit up????
Did a bunch of Goggling now and have a better understanding of that particular BOB and how it works:bang head:
I had to quit as my wife wanted me to spend some time with her, she said she had not hardly seen me for days from me working on the CNC project.
Bill

IMG_3626.JPG IMG_3627.JPG IMG_3628.JPG IMG_3625.JPGIMG_3626.JPG IMG_3627.JPG IMG_3628.JPG IMG_3625.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't see anything wrong with the wiring
I still have to check my jumper settings on my board and compare to yours
your 5v power supply does say "DC" on it correct?
the hot capacitor on the bob and neither bob you have tried shows a power led makes me think they are no good
the voltage from the power supply dropping to less than 2v when you connect to the bob makes me think they are shorted out.
but why?
either they were bad from the factory and that is why they sent you 2 to try or maybe when you were trying to
wire them something got wired wrong and shorted them out is impossible to say with any certainty but I really think they are both bad.
Steve

our next option is to buy something like ebay item number
it is powered by the pc's usb and comes with a cable for power and has a com terminal for each drive
it is easier to wire
5XBreakOut500B.jpg
plus this powered usb hub that has a wall powered power supply to isolate the breakout board from the pc.
ebay item number

m0XM3gTAJpFjPRde05uUWkg.jpg

i don't see anything wrong with the wiring
I still have to check my jumper settings on my board and compare to yours
your 5v power supply does say "DC" on it correct?
the hot capacitor on the bob and neither bob you have tried shows a power led makes me think they are no good
the voltage from the power supply dropping to less than 2v when you connect to the bob makes me think they are shorted out.
but why?
either they were bad from the factory and that is why they sent you 2 to try or maybe when you were trying to
wire them something got wired wrong and shorted them out is impossible to say with any certainty but I really think they are both bad.
Steve

I Emailed the seller and he did not even hesitate a bit and said he would send another BOB out right away (makes me think they knew it was flaky) but I am thinking that the other BOB you showed might be a good idea, dose it have any track record, that BOB ids not that much cost so I think I will order it up anyway. Is there any better options??
Oh by the way the wife is going shopping so I get to work on my system (blackmail me thinks):dancing banana:
Bill

Went ahead and got the blue BOB you recommended, estimate 17th Del. date.
I will work on the other parts while I wait for parts.
Thanks Steve

the bobs that come with the kits like the one you got are called "free offering" by the company
and every person who has asked me about copying my mill build I have told them to throw it away.
the one I showed you, I used in my zx45 and recommended several times with no problems. I just recommended
it to TomS also last week with the same usb hub also.
you spent the money lets make it work right.
Steve

if I would have told you to throw it away without you trying it you would have always wondered why
our first conversations you said you didn't want to spend much money so we tried.
Steve

the bobs that come with the kits like the one you got are called "free offering" by the company
and every person who has asked me about copying my mill build I have told them to throw it away.
the one I showed you, I used in my zx45 and recommended several times with no problems. I just recommended
it to TomS also last week with the same usb hub also.
you spent the money lets make it work right.
Steve
Well you were right from the looks of things. I double checked the wall wart and it is 5.6 V DC according to my VOM, boyh wall warts are 5.+ V DC but I do not have a oscilloscope to see how clean it is.
You are right about not trying but it was not a waste because I have learned a bunch from researching the BOB and how it is supposed to function (your never to old to learn).
Bill

Looking good bvd1940 I'll be watching you to see how it is going.

Paul

Back