Wellllll I Guess I Am Going To Cnc My Enco 45 But Slowly

Well cant do much as the OLD man got the gout and am not moving much but I was perusing the web and found a pretty good you tube channel that hits on a lot of different phases of DIY CNC. I found some useful material for the dummies like me on CNC wiring & setup.
Hope this helps someone as it did help me.:)
Bill

mach3 is the only one I can assist you with... LOL
Steve
How close dose the 5 volts for breakout board have to be and what is min amps needed to drive it? sorry for such a stupid question but from what I have found so far on the wiring setup the 5 volt pwr supply goes to the breakout board and all 3 stepper drivers right?
I have some wall warts but they are pretty low milli amp and thinking I would buy a 5 volt 5 amp pwr supply to run it to be safe:penny:

I can probably test the mtrs with the wall warts one axis at a time?
Bill

they are a signal and not a load so any usb type power supply would work as long as it is 5v dc
Steve

they are a signal and not a load so any usb type power supply would work as long as it is 5v dc
Steve
Well I ran into a hangup on my PC talking to Mach 3 and will have to get it talking or look for another PC to use :bawling:
Oh well the beat goes on:bang head: & on:bang head: & on:bang head:
Bill

Well got to delving into the PC/breakout board and realized that I was only getting 3.5 volts DC at the ports, shouldn't that be 5 volts dc?
But even with the 3.5 volts I still could not get the signal to go hi to low with arrow keys or page up or down.
I enabled 2nd port in mach 3 but no go.
Bill

hi Bill
what windows system are you using ?
open the mach3 directory and in there are a few programs that may help
run the application called drivertest first to make sure the driver is installed
when you push an arrow key do you see the dro's in mach3 change? if not you may have to set the keyboard up in
mach3, config at top of screen, system hotkeys setup
pics of what you have wired up so far may help
some breakout boards may work on 3,5?
Steve

hi Bill
what windows system are you using ?
open the mach3 directory and in there are a few programs that may help
run the application called drivertest first to make sure the driver is installed
when you push an arrow key do you see the dro's in mach3 change? if not you may have to set the keyboard up in
mach3, config at top of screen, system hotkeys setup
pics of what you have wired up so far may help
some breakout boards may work on 3,5?
Steve

I am running a HP zv6000 with windows XP Home edition.
all 3 axis are indicating on the mach 3 panel properly.
I just can not get a hi to low on the db25 pins??
The driver states pulse is fast but system states excellent?
I do dot have it hooked up to the breakout board, just checking for signal pulse on the DB 25 plug on the pc.

Here is a copy of the specs on the PCI card to DB25 port.
Description

100% Brand new and high quality
Connects any parallel peripherals to laptop notebook computer using CardBus technology.
Fully compatible with IEEE-1284 Parallel Port Standard.
Supports all parallel port devices that requires hardware parallel port from PC.
Installs as a fully featured I/O mapped parallel port as LPT1,LPT2 or LPT3.
Cost-effective add-on card solution for adding a standard parallel port for notebook PC''s to connect printers and other parallel devices( JTAG chip programmers, data acquisition, machine process control, scientific measurement systems and software protection dongles).
Plug & Play - Automatically selects IRQ and I/O address.
Fast data transfer rate up to 1.5 MB/sec.
Compatible with SPP, PS2, EPP and ECP modes.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Bill
This system has an AMD Athlon 64 processor but I think windows XP Home is 32 bit?

I would continue to do the wiring for at least the x axis, then bench test.
mach3 may be set to be receiving a 5v+ signal coming from the controller to ground or not ground. in that case you will not see anything checking from ground terminals and pins.
look at this drawing the 5v+ is going in on the pin not out.
Steve

wiring 4 axis to bob.JPG

Last edited:
I would continue to do the wiring for at least the x axis, then bench test.
mach3 may be set to be receiving a 5v+ signal coming from the controller to ground or not ground. in that case you will not see anything checking from ground terminals and pins.
look at this drawing the 5v+ is going in on the pin not out.
Steve

View attachment 99236

OK Im off to the shop to play & thanks Steve
Bill:chemist:

Back