What Did You Buy Today?

Needs pictures or it didn't happen! Unwritten rule... :)
5zy2ez4p

It seem unethical to admit how much I paid for it.

Also, I now know this particular lathe was sold by everyone under the sun in the 80's, but I haven't seen any through Crown. Really put me on a hunt to find details on it initially.

I am shopping all over for one of these (albeit a smaller 18 or 24" one). I can't express the jealousy I have right now :)
dgfoster on Practical Machinist casts a 18" and 26". You can buy them from him either stress releaved casting or milled. You would need to scrape it in to final flatness yourself. I have an 18" casting from him and quite pleased. If you follow the link, that thread includes a YouTube video on his work.

5zy2ez4p

Also, I now know this particular lathe was sold by everyone under the sun in the 80's, but I haven't seen any through Crown. Really put me on a hunt to find details on it initially.
Thats a near copy of the Grizzly G9249 and Enco 110-2033. LMK if you have questions or need a parts list. I've torn mine down to the bones before.

dgfoster on Practical Machinist casts a 18" and 26". You can buy them from him either stress releaved casting or milled. You would need to scrape it in to final flatness yourself. I have an 18" casting from him and quite pleased. If you follow the link, that thread includes a YouTube video on his work.

Thanks! Do you have any idea what he charges for those straightedges? I'll probably reach out to him, but im comparing against the Core Print Castings 18" dovetail prism ($100) or the Martin Model 24" camelback straightedge ($250)

Thats a near copy of the Grizzly G9249 and Enco 110-2033. LMK if you have questions or need a parts list. I've torn mine down to the bones before.

Edit: Just realized it was your rebuild I was drooling over yesterday. I plan to order some parts from Grizzly to repair the power feed.

I think I realized that yesterday! I really could use some help with the contactor wiring. Mine have a few wires disconnected. I'm embarrassed to admit I can't seem to make sense of it, even with the wiring diagram.

I made a post about it over here: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/1984-crown-lathe-honden-wiring-help-please.92152/

Last edited:
Thanks! Do you have any idea what he charges for those straightedges? I'll probably reach out to him, but im comparing against the Core Print Castings 18" dovetail prism ($100) or the Martin Model 24" camelback straightedge ($250)
I think he quotes $275 for the 26", and $197.50 for the 18" sold through eBay. Sounds like you have better pricing.

Edit: Just realized it was your rebuild I was drooling over yesterday. I plan to order some parts from Grizzly to repair the power feed.

I think I realized that yesterday! I really could use some help with the contactor wiring. Mine have a few wires disconnected. I'm embarrassed to admit I can't seem to make sense of it, even with the wiring diagram.

I made a post about it over here: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/1984-crown-lathe-honden-wiring-help-please.92152/
I'll PM you so we don't sidetrack the thread

5zy2ez4p

I assume you have the manual. If not you can download it from Grizzly or I could send you a copy.

Got this 3" face mill, and arbor from Bang Good. $80 delivered. Took about a week to get. Any recommendations on feed, and speed rates on steel. Looks to be nicely made. Hope it works as good as it looks. Will probably be a while until I get to try it out. MikeIMG_20210416_121418859.jpg

Back