What's wrong with people these days? RANT

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's literally the people who don't believe proving that Darwin was right.

It only works though if the darwin award folks have not reproduced yet. Ok. Probably enough out of me. You all be safe now. Good night.

On my way home from work tuesday, I had a UPS delivery truck tailgate my for two miles... not more than 10 feet from my bumper. We were on a 4 lane divided highway, in the left lane. I couldn't speed up, there was a car in front of me. I couldn't merge right, there was a car beside me.

He was jerking the vehicle to the left and right... clearly very agitated. I decided the best thing to do was get out of his way and let him go on his way, but to do that, I HAD to slow down to let the car next to me get out of the way. I let off the gas... did not hit the brake... but as soon as the car in the right lane started getting ahead,the UPS driver jerked the truck into that lane, pulled up beside me... and merged into my lane, pushing me off the road!

He did this on purpose! I managed to avoid getting hit... just by luck...

I have a dashcam, so I have the incident on video, but the sherriffs dept wasn't even interested in seeing it.

I finally managed to get in touch with someone at UPS to file a complaint, but when they found out I had it on video, I got a definate feeling that they weren't happy about it, so I doubt anything was said or done to the idiot driver. I got the feeling that they are going to protect their fellow employees...

I feel that I was in a 'catch 22' situation, and that anything I did would have ended badly...

What is wrong with people?

-Bear

I have worked as a UPS driver for 27 years. I apologize for this jerk.

I wish you would make a few copies of that video, put the copies on some cheap USB flash drives, and take it down to the center that this driver works out of. Hand the flash drives to a few full-time *supervisors* (not hourlies).

If this happened at my center, the driver would get in a tremendous amount of trouble, and he would be very lucky to keep his job. If it were up to me, I would fire him on the spot.

I have the opposite experience. I have a 90 minute drive back to my center from my route, and I get tailgated about half the time on this long drive. I just disregard it, and continue to drive safely.

I really hate tailgaters! Why don’t they just leave earlier so that they can drive defensively?!

Some of us are just too stupid to know we are hypocritical or is it that we are too hypocritical to know we are stupid.
I thought this forum was about not being offensive to others.
You would be right saying it either way Chuck. I apologize if I offended you. Your opinions may not be the same as some on this thread, and I do know how uncomfortable that can be. I think it's very important that our forum not get ugly about it. Ive just been beat up for so long on that topic. It's good to hear someone agree sometimes too. I apologize and I won't bring it up again.

You would be right saying it either way Chuck. I apologize if I offended you. Your opinions may not be the same as some on this thread, and I do know how uncomfortable that can be. I think it's very important that our forum not get ugly about it. Ive just been beat up for so long on that topic. It's good to hear someone agree sometimes too. I apologize and I won't bring it up again.
No. Your post is not offensive to me. And I can relate to what you are saying.
Chuck

Covid became very real to me in August when my younger brother died from the virus. It was ugly, two weeks in the hospital, ventilator, etc. While I took every precaution with shots, vitamins, masks, he ignored all that and was a strong enthusiastic watcher of Fox news and their pundits. Don’t see how I can ever get over this.

I’ve watched this thread steadily morph into a perfect illustration of the OP’s original rant. Jerks sometimes show up where you least expect them.

But, thankfully, I have a foolproof method to easily identify them. They don’t agree with my opinion nor watch the same news channel that I do.

Just MHO. Feel free to disagree. I won't be offended.

Tom

My apology too if I offended anyone. This is a hot-button issue with me. I also lost a family member and a friend to Covid, needlessly. However, this is the wrong forum and the wrong people to vent my frustration on. Hobby-machinist is too nice a place to mess up with my snarky comment above. I stand by my opinions though.

I also apologize, I don’t mean to politicize what should be simple valid information and logic. I suppose even saying this could be offensive to some, so I will offer the standard “I apologize to anyone who may have been offended by my comments”.

I think most rational people are not truly made upset by debates about science.

Some things are a "religion" and are closed to any meaningful debate.
An example would be to ask a Christian or a person of Islamic faith "who God is".
Both may argue to the bitter end, and neither are likely to move from their position.

Science on the other hand, is meant to be debated. It is the only way it grows.
Once you reach the point where it can no longer be debated, a view has ceased being science, and is now a religion.

There is no argument from either side, that Covid has killed many people. And those deaths have touched many
people who knew the casualties of Covid in a deeply meaningful way. Strong feelings from many would be the
expected outcome.

I do get a bit concerned when I hear the words "settled science" coming out of the mouths of people who cannot
tell me the interaction of the following words with Covid:
ACE2 Receptor, CRISPR, mRNA sequence insertion, Reverse Transcriptase, Cytokine storm, Myocarditis, Endocarditis, and Vaccine.
It leads me to believe their scientific opinion is largely based upon what their favorite news pundit fed them.
Their beliefs are also adjusted based upon what personal impact they have experienced (good and bad).

Still, the majority of views on this are very personal to people, and as such, agreement will always be difficult.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back