Windows 10 Installation Issues

4GSR

Forum Guest
Register Today
My computer was eligible for a upgrade to Windows 10 recently. I took the plunge two days ago. What a mess it created! It dumped some malware onto my computer during the install and McAfee did not do anything about it. Today after screwing with it for two days now, Windows decided to lock up on me. After about three hours of trying to get in, A screen came up and asked me if I wanted to do? Several choices, I elected to reinstall, keep all of my data files, but loose all of my programs I had installed. Well three more hours later I have most of my programs installed, but lost my licenses to a couple of them. Oh, Lost my Office package I had installed. Will say, the malware is gone!
Has anyone else out there having problems with Windows 10 installs?

I was warned not to upgrade to 10. The reason given was just what you have run into. While it is installing itself it drops all guards. I have 8 now.

"Billy G"

I took the plunge on my laptop, works fine. No horror story like previous versions. It just started to update and when it was done it let me know. All I had before was still there and I had lots of commercial and open source software installed. Like it, nothing earth shattering but nice.

Caster

I forgot to mention, I'm not a McAfee supporter! I'm using it because I have a free one year subscription of it on my computer. It will be removed soon! I use ESET on all of my other computers. Been using it for 8 years now.

i had to remove 10 due to screen Resolution one other person that I know also had to remove it because edge would not allow him into the bank .

I'm on 8 now but eligible for the upgrade, I think I'll hold off a while..........

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

upgraded three days ago so far so good really like it
i let it down in the back then installed it later
took me a while to figure out how to make yahoo start page on microsoft edge but i got it done works reat now

I started the upgrade before I left this morning. When I got back, all was good to go. Changes to the interface and different ways to do the same thing is all I see so far.
Dave

I disliked Windows 8 enough to look for alternatives. About 6 months ago someone recommended Linux Mint Cinnamon. I installed it as a dual boot on my computer which allows me to chose between running either the existing Windows or Linux Mint at boot time, thus leaving my options open in case I couldn't get on with Mint.

Once up and running, I was astounded at just how much faster it runs than Windows, nor is there any need to hassle with anti-virus software, it is just not necessary. All the software I regularly use is available; web browsers, both Chrome and Firefox, Thunderbird for email, and both LibreOffice and OpenOffice which are more than adequate replacements for MS Office, enough so that I am puzzled as to why anyone would actually pay for MS Office even on Windows.
And there was almost no learning curve. Unlike switching to Windows 8, anyone who has used Windows XP or Windows 7 will feel immediately at home.

Installation was really trivial. I downloaded the appropriate file; in my case it was the 64 bit version, and then downloaded the Universal USB Installer which created a bootable USB flash drive. Booting from the newly formatted USB drive began the installation process which was completely straight forward.

All in all I am completely happy with my change to Linux Mint and can highly recommend it, for the last 4 months I have found no reason whatsoever to boot into Windows. So unless you are very dependant on some software packages that are Windows only, it is well worth giving Mint a try.
Clive

Back