Windows 10 Installation Issues

So far the damage I can't fix is I lost my Office package 2013 and my license for Draftsight Professional. I can't retrieve my email for the codes for activating Draftsight Professional. That was erased when Windows 10 wiped out restored after the ficascal I just went through. I've lost 6 months of emails and contacts. And Yahoo mail only keeps the last 200 or so emails. I'll try contacting Draftsight next week and see what can be done.

It's funny, my son and I have two other computers that were upgraded with Windows 10 with no problems what so ever!

Like Jim Dawson I'm still running XP. When support ended it said to get Win 7 or better so I installed Opera and have had no problems what so ever.
It's not hard to think out of the box if you ain't never been in one.
********KYKITB*****************Gator**************cartangrysj1.gif******************

Two weeks ago I went from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. The actual upgrade was quick and easy, a very pleasant surprise. Then I locked down the privacy settings. Another pleasant surprise was the repair of my broken sound capability (some Windows 8.1 patch "broke" my capability to play MIDI music. The only problem was with my TurboCAD, the CAD files for my French Cannon machining project were not being displayed. This turned out to be an incompatibility between the newest graphic driver and TurboCAD's Redsdk rendering mode. Reverted to normal rendering and all is okay.

Have I had any issues??? @#$$^$@#%^ $%# ^#

I was running fine on 8.1 . I should have stay the heck away from the upgrade until the major issues were worked out... I should know better...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...i-update/e3cf8666-6869-4ccc-aafa-27c6f0f399fe

The system was fine after the upgrade until that last automated patch came out... this was last Wednesday (Aug 12)... that is when everything went to hell... I still can't have my computer the way it was before that... arghhhhh!!

Here is my hardware configuration:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus P9X79 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard
Memory bank 1: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Memory bank 2: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Storage1: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage2: Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer
Speakers: Genius SP-HF1800A 50W 2ch Speakers
Monitor: ViewSonic VG2436wm-LED 24.0" Monitor
Keyboard: Gigabyte GK-OSMIUM Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Gigabyte GM-KRYPTON Wired Laser Mouse
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) - Upgrade to Windows 10... and now everything crashed after two weeks of perfect behavior...

I'm still running XP Pro, still works good for me. Maybe I'll upgrade one day, but maybe not.;) I do have a dual boot into Win7 if I need to run a 64bit program.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
I kept my Hp laptop with XP for Autocad & office & bought an HP with 8 for browsing. I upgraded to 10 without problems & my XP files are protected in the old cruncher. So far so good.

I've upgraded my four machines from Windows 7 Pro to 10 Pro without any major issues other than a couple of video card drivers needing to be re-installed and the like. It is more awkward to use than 7 was but is worlds better than 8.

For the OP - Are you sure you didn't fall in to this trap - http://www.pcworld.com/article/2955...clicking-phony-windows-10-upgrade-emails.html

FWIW - I simply downloaded the .iso image and burned it to a couple of DVDs for install on the machines. I did, of course, make sure all my software, drivers, etc. were all up to date before trying the upgrades.

-Ron

This is slightly off-topic but since Linux was mentioned as an alternative I thought I'd offer my two cents worth to the subject. I bought a new laptop in 2013 that came with Win8 installed & hated it so I switched to Linux [ZorinOS-6]. I liked it so well that I installed it on my desktop computer which used Win7 at the time. Recently I considered upgrading to Zorin's latest version, v10, but it's full version isn't available on DVD & it doesn't have long-term support [LTS] [only their Core & Lite versions are on DVD but they lack some desirable features; their full version is available on flash drive, however]. So, after consideration, I installed Mint v17.2, MATE edition which has LTS as does Cinnamon. MATE edition is similar to Cinnamon but is a bit easier to install but lacks a few features & settings so I may install Cinnamon in the future.

Take a look at a version called "Peach" Very familiar interface and appearance and currently using ubuntu LTS !

Well, in my case in turned out to be a bad graphics/video card... can't believe the timing... the graphics card went the same day Windows 10 did the infamous update (Aug 12)... This is a year old graphics card (the whole system is)... in a machine that has a 1500 APC Smart-UPS, a frigging huge case with 5 fans inside (in addition to the 3 that the card has...)

e461ea51-158b-4904-91a4-327d66c77dca_zpscm6petyg.jpg

Anyway... got a new graphics card. Sent the one that is damage for replacement to Gigabyte (3 year warranty)... Now I have a spare PSU (part of the troubleshooting I did was to replace the PSU with a new one just in case that was the problem), I will have a working GPU card (hopefully they will not screw me with the warranty repair)... might as well get a less expensive motherboard and few other bits and put another system together... I can use it as a dedicated workstation for the 3D printer... humm...

Take a look at a version called "Peach" Very familiar interface and appearance and currently using ubuntu LTS !

I grew up with Linux! Have not had a machine running it since the last Suse I installed years, years ago... Looks like Ubuntu is the way to go these days... another excuse to get that second system ready.... excellent.

Back